Subject: Ticket Assigned - Sales Invoice 11697
From: Homecentre <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 04:04:39 +0000

Hi Mohammad shafeeque,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Sales Invoice 11697 Dear concerned

This is to inform you that we had purchased Fablo 2 and 3 seaters dated
12-Feb 2021, Homecentre Fahaheeel branch which were delivered to us on
7-Mar-2021. Customer ID is 40062202004293

After the delivery was done, we observed that the 3 seater has a sharp
nail-like protrusion on the left side on the upper arm and we placed a
complaint for the same. We visited the Homecentre Fahaheeel branch twice
thereafter to place our complaints and expedite the process. But it is
really unfortunate to see any response from your side even after nearly 2
months of this issue being raised. Our child recently got a scrape from the
sofa and we really can not accept this kind of service.

Please advise whom to escalate this matter to.

Regards
Dubari Das  / Rajeev Rai

65067090 / 66163405

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2584112