Subject: Ticket Assigned - Didnt get the extra 10% off
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2020 02:43:51 +0000

Hi Mohammad shafeeque,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Didnt get the extra 10% off Hello,

Whoever is reading this i want you to know ive had a bad experience with
your app ( the latest update) and also with ur customer representative.
Application keeps on freezing, feedback not working , email address not
showing. Customer center dont respond easily.. called like 10 times ..
Seriously really bad experience

Plus :

 I have paid the items i bought using emirates nbd debit card however didnt
get the extra 10percent off ?

This is my order #: 9618298580 and

This is the other order i made , order #: 9618362761 ..

I called ur customer service and she wasnt helpful and seemed ignorant
didnt know how to handle the issue?.

I hope u give me the extra credit  back and u respond.

Thanks.
Angry customer

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1775919