Subject: RE: Late delivery WWD item//6458051255
From: Jessie Caparas <[email-masked]>
To: Seeta Seeta <[email-masked]>, Bsj Nf <[email-masked]>
Cc: ali inayat <[email-masked]>, Navaz Nt <[email-masked]>, IranBudhathoki <[email-masked]>, Hcwh Taif <[email-masked]>, Apoorv Joshi <[email-masked]>, Shakeeb Arsalan <[email-masked]>, Ghazi Mohammad Ahmed <[email-masked]>, Urvika Chaudhary <[email-masked]>, Escalations Dxbteam <[email-masked]>, Sachin Maheshwari <[email-masked]>, Moosa Yusuf <[email-masked]>, Umapathi Venkatachalam <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 05:34:14 +0000

FYI Seeta

From: Seeta Seeta <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2020 5:29 PM
To: Bsj Nf <[email-masked]>
Cc: ali inayat <[email-masked]>; Navaz Nt <[email-masked]>; IranBudhathoki <[email-masked]>; Hcwh Taif <[email-masked]>; Apoorv Joshi <[email-masked]>; Shakeeb Arsalan <[email-masked]>; Ghazi Mohammad Ahmed <[email-masked]>; Urvika Chaudhary <[email-masked]>; Escalations Dxbteam <[email-masked]>; Sachin Maheshwari <[email-masked]>; Moosa Yusuf <[email-masked]>; Umapathi Venkatachalam <[email-masked]>
Subject: Late delivery WWD item//6458051255
Importance: High

External email sender, please take precaution.
Hi Team,

Could you please let us know whether the below item has been delivered to the customer or not?

As per the hybris the order stauts is still showing SUBMITTED_TO_WAREHOUSE

Thanks & Regards,
Seeta Kunwar

________________________________
From: "bsj nf" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
To: "ali inayat" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, "navaz nt" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, "IranBudhathoki" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, "Hcwh Taif" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: "Seeta Seeta" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, "Apoorv Joshi" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, "Shakeeb Arsalan" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, "Ghazi Mohammad Ahmed" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, "Urvika Chaudhary" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, "escalations dxbteam" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, "Sachin Maheshwari" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, "Moosa Yusuf" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, "Umapathi Venkatachalam" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2020 2:05:52 PM
Subject: RE: Late delivery WWD item//6458051255

Hi
Team
Please check the below order screen shot status we are rescheduling on 13 Jan for kind your information.

@Hcwh Taif<mailto:[email-masked]>
Please follow the same and once you delivery update our related team asap.

REGARDS
HARUN
BABYSHOP GDMS OPRATION
JEDDAH-2113
From: Inayat Ali
Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2020 11:26 AM
To: Navaz Nt <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Bsj Nf <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; IranBudhathoki <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: Seeta Seeta <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Apoorv Joshi <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Shakeeb Arsalan <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Ghazi Mohammad Ahmed <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Urvika Chaudhary <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Escalations Dxbteam <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Sachin Maheshwari <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: Re: Late delivery WWD item//6458051255

External email sender, please take precaution.
Hi Team

Please share an update on the order id: 6458051255.

The order was placed on 24 Dec'19 and still not delivered to the customer.

He is chasing us for a prompt delivery.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards
Inayat Ali

________________________________
From: "Ghazi Mohammad Ahmed" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
To: "ali inayat" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: "Seeta Seeta" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, "Apoorv Joshi" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, "Shakeeb Arsalan" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Sent: Friday, 10 January, 2020 16:31:24
Subject: Late delivery WWD i

Hi Team ,

Order ID:6458051255 Customer placed order on Dec 24, 2019 with WWD item and till now he has not received the order. As per the hybris the order status is SUBMITTED_TO_WAREHOUSE.we raised this case to warehouse two times but no response .

so please look for this issue and update us .

Regards
Ghazi

This e-mail message (which includes attachment/s thereto, if any, and the information therein), is legally privileged, proprietary, strictly confidential and exempt from disclosure, which is not waived or lost by mis-transmission or error. If you are not the original intended recipient of this message, it may be unlawful and illegal for you to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, disclose or otherwise use this message, or take any action in reliance on it, and the same is prohibited and forbidden. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by return reply and delete the message from your system without printing or making a copy. Neither the sender nor we are liable for any loss or damage as a result of this message, or for any delay, interception, corruption, virus, error, omission, improper or incomplete transmission thereof. www.landmarkgroup.com<http://www.landmarkgroup.com>
This e-mail message (which includes attachment/s thereto, if any, and the information therein), is legally privileged, proprietary, strictly confidential and exempt from disclosure, which is not waived or lost by mis-transmission or error. If you are not the original intended recipient of this message, it may be unlawful and illegal for you to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, disclose or otherwise use this message, or take any action in reliance on it, and the same is prohibited and forbidden. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by return reply and delete the message from your system without printing or making a copy. Neither the sender nor we are liable for any loss or damage as a result of this message, or for any delay, interception, corruption, virus, error, omission, improper or incomplete transmission thereof. www.landmarkgroup.com

Subject: RE: Complaint details 27rd -Jan .2020 (Baby Shop )
From: Moosa Yusuf <[email-masked]>
To: Subhabrata Mandal <[email-masked]>
Cc: Navaz Nt <[email-masked]>, Nayeem Mujawar <[email-masked]>, Sudheer Shiekh <[email-masked]>, Mohammed Shahwaz Ahmed <[email-masked]>, Bsj Nf <[email-masked]>, IranBudhathoki <[email-masked]>, Hcmadina Wh <[email-masked]>, Hcwh Taif <[email-masked]>, Hcwh Yanbu <[email-masked]>, Sachin Maheshwari <[email-masked]>, Shafiq Ahmed <[email-masked]>, Shihab Hamza <[email-masked]>, Escalations Dxbteam <escala
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 04:18:45 +0000

Dear Sir

Kindly find the below Details for BS COD Complaints on 27th JAN-20

Complaint Date

Invoice No

Customer Name

Customer Region

Reason

Complaint Detail

Call by

Call Date

Call Detail

Action Plan

Resolution date

Driver Name

27.01.2023

6458634849

Basim Saleh Sabhi

Makkah

Complaint

Kindly dispatch the order urgently.

HARUN

27.01.2023

Delivery confirmation

The order has been delivery done as on 26 Jan 2020

26.01.2020

Jeddah/Safi

27.01.2023

6458227324

Turki Alshehri

Taif

Complaint

Kindly arrange for the delivery urgently.

HARUN

27.01.2023

Delivery pending due to system error

waiting for conformation- from IT support team (INC0662683)

27.01.2020

27.01.2023

6461811236

Mohammed Jabril Hamad

Jeddah

Complaint

Please update this order dispatch status on urgent !!

HARUN

27.01.2023

Customer does not pick up the call

we are rescheduling on 28 Jan 2020

28.01.2021

Jeddah/driver

27.01.2023

6458051255

Maram Alhdby

Taif

Complaint

Could you please let us know whether the below item has been delivered to the customer or not?

HARUN

27.01.2023

Order cancel

already cancel has been done

27.01.2020

27.01.2023

6461376702

Afnan Albqyly

Jeddah

Complaint

A kind reminder to pick up the damaged WWD item.

HARUN

27.01.2023

Item Damage

we are arranging by 28 Jan 2020 for damage replace

28.01.2021

Jeddah/driver

27.01.2023

6459628178

Anwar Elidrisse

Jeddah

Complaint

Please arrange the delivery today ASAP and contact the customer to confirm.

HARUN

27.01.2023

Delivery pending - customer need the order on 28th

we are rescheduling 3 time and discussed with customer need to be on 28 Jan 1:00 pm 2020

28.01.2021

Jeddah/Vishnu

Best Regards,

Moosa Yusuf

Baby Shop Ware House.

Jeddah .Saudi Arabia .

IP-2102

From: Moosa Yusuf
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2020 1:08 PM
To: Subhabrata Mandal <[email-masked]>
Cc: Navaz Nt <[email-masked]>; Nayeem Mujawar <[email-masked]>; Sudheer Shiekh <[email-masked]>; Mohammed Shahwaz Ahmed <[email-masked]>; Bsj Nf <[email-masked]>; IranBudhathoki <[email-masked]>; Hcmadina Wh <[email-masked]>; Hcwh Taif <[email-masked]>; Hcwh Yanbu <[email-masked]>; Sachin Maheshwari <[email-masked]>; Shafiq Ahmed <[email-masked]>; Shihab Hamza <[email-masked]>; Escalations Dxbteam <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Complaint details 23rd -Jan .2020 (Baby Shop )

Dear Sir

Kindly find the below Details for BS COD Complaints on 23rd JAN-20

Complaint Date

Invoice No

Customer Name

Customer Region

Reason

Complaint Detail

Call by

Call Detail

Action Plan

Resolution date

Driver Name

23.01.2020

6454701729

Request

Customer emailed us informing that he received the item but the item which they received is damaged, customer also provided us the picture of damaged item

HARUN

Asper customer Item damage received but order not found in GDMS

The order not found in GDMS-and still not WWD-order and waiting for CCC Confirmation

23.01.2020

23.01.2020

6444148352

AbdAlrahman

Madinah

Complaint

However, Customer is claiming that he didn't receive it

HARUN

Order not received but DO Closed

The order is close, but customer not received so we are checking the trip sheet for confirm the same.

26.01.2020

Madinah

23.01.2020

6457132452

Noorah Alslamh

Madinah

Complaint

Area “Al Khalidiyah Thumair” belongs to Jeddah, Please give me any area name from Riyadh for scheduling and creating DO for Riyadh.

HARUN

Asper customer area in Riyadh but GDMS Showing error

Physical stock sending to Riyadh and inform the same CCC and Riyad team as well

25.01.2020

Madinah

23.01.2020

6459628178

Anower Eliddrises

Jeddah

Complaint

Please dispatch the order urgently

HARUN

Customer now not present in JED

Order place date on 23 Jan, but delivery team today inform to us customer now not present in Jeddah that’s he postpones 26 Jan 2020

26.01.2020

Jeddah/driver

23.01.2020

6461648772

Bndr Alsydlany

Jeddah

Request

Order mistakenly close

HARUN

Order closed mistakenly

We received the RMA and resolved the same

23.01.2020

Jeddah

23.01.2020

6458227324

Turki Alshehri

Taif

Complaint

Kindly arrange for the delivery urgently.

HARUN

Delivery pending

We are rescheduling the order on 26 Jan 2020

26.01.2020

Suman

23.01.2020

6452805412

Maryam

Taif

Request

However, the assembly has been not done yet. Please check on this and let us know how soon we can arrange an assembly for the customer

HARUN

Assemble pending

Align Taif team for assemble the same

26-01-2020

Suman

23.01.2020

6452712732

Abdullah_ghiyas_Alturkumani

Jeddah

Request

The customer is requesting for the below item to be assembled.

HARUN

Assemble pending

we arrange the assemble for customer 25 Jan 2020

25.01.2020

Jeddah/driver

23.01.2020

6444148352

AbdAlrahman

Madinah

Complaint

However, Customer is claiming that he didn't receive it. We have escalated the issue several times

HARUN

Asper customer delivery does not receive

Asper Trip sheet delivery has been done and waiting for CCC Confirmation

23.01.2020

Madinah

Best Regards,

Moosa Yusuf

Baby Shop Ware House.

Jeddah .Saudi Arabia .

IP-2102

From: Moosa Yusuf
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2020 6:51 AM
To: Subhabrata Mandal <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: Navaz Nt <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Nayeem Mujawar <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Sudheer Shiekh <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Mohammed Shahwaz Ahmed <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Bsj Nf <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; IranBudhathoki <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcmadina Wh <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcwh Taif <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcwh Yanbu <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Sachin Maheshwari <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Shafiq Ahmed <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Shihab Hamza <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Escalations Dxbteam <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: RE: Complaint details 22nd -Jan .2020 (Baby Shop )

Dear Sir

Kindly find the below Details for BS COD Complaints on 22nd JAN-20

Complaint Date

Invoice No

Customer Name

Customer Region

Reason

Complaint Detail

Call by

Call Detail

Action Plan

Resolution date

Driver Name

22.01.2021

6456924622

Ebtehal Mahroos

Madinah

Complaint

we request you to check this concern and let us know if we can offer a return or an exchange to customer or not.

HARUN

Conformation for Madinah team

Discussed with customer and resolve the issue ASAP

22.01.2020

Madinah

22.01.2021

6461463335

Hadi Gabir Hbw

Jeddah

Complaint

Please ensure arrange delivery for subject order as scheduled COC case

HARUN

Conformation-Jeddah team up follow

The order already place date on 22 Jan 2020-follow up

22.01.2020

Mustofah

22.01.2021

6460771825

Bandar Abdullah

Jeddah

Complaint

Need Urgent late WWD Delivery tomorrow. Kindly arrange an urgent late WWD Delivery

HARUN

Conformation-Jeddah team up follow

The order already place date on 23 Jan 2020-follow up

23.01.2020

Jeddah

22.01.2021

6453245106

AbdAlzyz Fahd Alhazmi

Madinah

Complaint

Please check and arrange for the shipping ASAP.

HARUN

Conformation for Madinah team

Conformed with Medina team -we are rescheduling on 26 Jan 2020

26.01.2020

Madinah

22.01.2021

6460707504

Mohusein Alovi

Madinah

Complaint

Dear Team – Order placed on 12th Jan, order not yet received and processed.

HARUN

Conformation for Madinah team

confirmed with Madinah team -we reschedule on 26 Jan 2021

26.01.2020

Madinah

22.01.2021

6454554189

Riyadh

Riyadh

Complaint

The customer still waiting for the below item to be assembled.

HARUN

conformation to Riyadh TEAM

The order does not belong to Jeddah

26.01.2020

Riyadh

22.01.2021

6458589991

Salma Al Mutairi

Madinah

Complaint

As per the previous email the order was supposed to deliver on 16 Jan 20. But till now we have not received any update on this case.

HARUN

Conformation for Madinah team

Discussed with Madinah team, same schedule day customer wants cancel and waiting for CCC confirmation for cancel in GDMS & WMS

26.01.2020

Madinah

22.01.2021

6458066101

Farhan Menhaj

Jeddah

Complaint

Kindly dispatch the order urgently

HARUN

Conformation-Jeddah team follow up

we are rescheduling on 23 Jan 2020-follow up

23.01.2020

Jeddah/driver

22.01.2021

6458959317

Aisha Alharbi

Jeddah

Complaint

Please update us about the delay in delivery and arrange a delivery ASAP.

HARUN

Conformation-Jeddah team follow up

we are rescheduling on 23 Jan 2020-follow up

23.01.2020

Jeddah/driver

22.01.2021

6459628178

Anower Eliddrises

Jeddah

Complaint

, but until now the customer did not receive it so please check and do the needful to deliver the order at the soonest

HARUN

Conformation-Jeddah team follow up

we are rescheduling on 23 Jan 2020-follow up

23.01.2020

Jeddah/driver

22.01.2021

6459103483

Raied Aljihny

Madinah

Complaint

Kindly arrange an urgent delivery for the following item:

HARUN

Conformation for Madinah team

Asper Madinah team confirmation we are rescheduling on 26 Jan 2021

26.01.2020

Madinah

Best Regards,

Moosa Yusuf

Baby Shop Ware House.

Jeddah .Saudi Arabia .

IP-2102

From: Moosa Yusuf
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2020 12:30 PM
To: Subhabrata Mandal <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: Navaz Nt <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Nayeem Mujawar <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Sudheer Shiekh <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Mohammed Shahwaz Ahmed <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Bsj Nf <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; IranBudhathoki <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcmadina Wh <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcwh Taif <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcwh Yanbu <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Sachin Maheshwari <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Shafiq Ahmed <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Shihab Hamza <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Escalations Dxbteam <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: RE: Complaint details 21st -Jan .2020 (Baby Shop )

Dear Sir

Kindly find the below Details for BS COD Complaints on 21st JAN-20

Complaint Date

Invoice No

Customer Name

Customer Region

Reason

Complaint Detail

Call by

Call Detail

Action Plan

Resolution date

Driver Name

21.01.2020

6458939201

Amaml al harabi

Yanbu

Complaint

The item has not been delivered,

HARUN

Conformation-Yanbu team

Yanbu team conformation-we are rescheduling on 23 jan 2020

23.01.2020

Yanbu team

21.01.2020

6460502677

Ammar alassil

Taif

Complaint

Moreover, the customer complained to COC.

HARUN

Conformation-Taif team

The order is coc case- Taif team conformation we are rescheduling on 22 jan 2020

22.01.2020

Taif team

21.01.2020

6459967614

Amir Majed KHAN

Jeddah

Complaint

Kindly dispatch the order urgently

HARUN

Conformation-Jeddah team up follow

Jeddah team-we are rescheduling on 22 jan 2020-follow up

22.01.2020

Jeddah

21.01.2020

6439951969

Amir Majed KHAN

Yanbu

Complaint

The team is still not replying for this case and we need to resolve it asap.

HARUN

Conformation-Yanbu team

The order is 31 jul-19-Yanbu team conformation update happen delivery

21.01.2020

Yanbu team

21.01.2020

6460707974

Marai al Amri

Jeddah

Complaint

The customer created WWD order from date ( Jan 12, 2020 ),and schedule delivery (Jan 16, 2020), but until now he didn't receive the below order,

HARUN

Conformation-Jeddah team up follow

Jeddah team-we are rescheduling on 23 jan 2020-follow up

23.01.2020

Jeddah

21.01.2020

6460767629

Byt Amy

Jeddah

Complaint

The customer is frustrated because of the delay Kindly contact the customer on the following phone number ( 0555803395 ) to arrange an urgent delivery

HARUN

Conformation-Jeddah team up follow

Jeddah team-we are rescheduling on 23 jan 2020-follow up

23.01.2020

Jeddah

21.01.2020

6461346589

Faysal Nassir

Makkah

Complaint

The customer is complaining about delay in delivery it was expected to be delivered on Jan 20, 2020

HARUN

Conformation-Jeddah team up follow

Jeddah team-the order already place date on 23 jan 2020-follow up

23.01.2020

Jeddah

Best Regards,

Moosa Yusuf

Baby Shop Ware House.

Jeddah .Saudi Arabia .

IP-2102

From: Moosa Yusuf
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 7:44 AM
To: Subhabrata Mandal <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: Navaz Nt <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Nayeem Mujawar <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Sudheer Shiekh <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Mohammed Shahwaz Ahmed <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Bsj Nf <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; IranBudhathoki <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcmadina Wh <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcwh Taif <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcwh Yanbu <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Sachin Maheshwari <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Shafiq Ahmed <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Shihab Hamza <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Escalations Dxbteam <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: RE: Complaint details 20th -Jan .2020 (Baby Shop )

Dear Sir

Kindly find the below Details for BS COD Complaints on 20th JAN-20

Baby Shop-20-01-2020

Call ID

Call Date

Invoice No

Action Plan / Status

Reason

Call By

User Loc.

CALL DETALS

413517

1/20/2020 10:43

6456821386

Madinah area- already order place date 22 Jan 2020

Complaints

Harun

BS-COD

Kindly update the number and deliver the order as soon as possible.

349516

1/20/2020 10:43

6452334430

As far @350 k.m.So waiting For CCC Team advice

Complaints

Harun

BS-COD

late delivery

13053674

1/20/2020 13:43

6450933462

Order re-scheduled on 20 Jan 2020.

Complaints

Harun

BS-COD

Is it done ?

390139

1/20/2020 14:43

6451125522

Arranged for customer assembling on 21 Jan 2020

Complaints

Harun

BS-COD

Assembly Request

411783

1/20/2020 16:43

6460964794

Madinah area- rescheduling on 23 Jan 2020

Complaints

Harun

BS-COD

Problem Statement:Late WWD Dekivery

358767

1/20/2020 16:43

6439863163

Order does not belong to Jeddah order in Riyadh informed to CCC Team

Complaints

Harun

BS-COD

In completed WWD item

354859

1/20/2020 17:43

6456542713

Area was Muthaleif-Qunfudah-out of Jeddah as far @300 k.m.So waiting for CCC Team advice

Complaints

Harun

BS-COD

Late WWD

411749

1/20/2020 17:43

6460816262

order assembly schedule is if 20th Jan

Request

Iran

BS-COD

Assembly Request

401637

1/20/2020 17:43

6458572523

cancellation done GDMS and WMS

Request

Iran

BS-COD

Need to cancel the order

406510

1/20/2020 17:43

6460502677

Taif area-The order close mistakenly when it’s not delivered and waiting for taif team confirmation

Complaints

Iran

BS-COD

Late WWD Order

412654

1/20/2020 17:43

6460532855

Waiting for conformation from Yanbu Team

Complaints

Iran

BS-COD

Late delivery WWD

Best Regards,

Moosa Yusuf

Baby Shop Ware House.

Jeddah .Saudi Arabia .

IP-2102

From: Moosa Yusuf
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2020 8:47 AM
To: Subhabrata Mandal <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: Navaz Nt <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Nayeem Mujawar <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Sudheer Shiekh <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Mohammed Shahwaz Ahmed <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Bsj Nf <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; IranBudhathoki <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcmadina Wh <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcwh Taif <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcwh Yanbu <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Sachin Maheshwari <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Shafiq Ahmed <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Shihab Hamza <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Escalations Dxbteam <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: RE: Complaint details 19th -Jan .2020 (Baby Shop )

Dear Sir

Kindly find the below Details for BS COD Complaints on 19th JAN-20

Baby Shop-19-01-2020

Call ID

Call Date

Invoice No

Action Plan / Status

Reason

Call By

User Loc.

CALL DETALS

374392

1/19/2020 13:43

6456843439

Re-schedule the order for 22nd Jan

Complaints

Iran

BS-COD

Late delivery WWD

406855

1/19/2020 13:43

6460836550

Re-schedule the order for 21st Jan

Complaints

Iran

BS-COD

Partially order ​delivered from the warehouse

377540

1/19/2020 13:43

6457427877

Taif area - Customer want to cancel the order and Waiting for conformation from CCC Team

Complaints

Iran

BS-COD

Late Shipping

376486

1/19/2020 13:43

6456821386

Order re-schedule on 21st Jan

Complaints

Iran

BS-COD

Late delivery WWD

401637

1/19/2020 13:43

6458572523

Madina area- Customer want to cancel the order and canceled the same in GDMS & WMS as well

Complaints

Iran

BS-COD

Late Shipping

From: Moosa Yusuf

Best Regards,

Moosa Yusuf

Baby Shop Ware House.

Jeddah .Saudi Arabia .

IP-2102

Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2020 2:31 PM
To: Subhabrata Mandal <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: Navaz Nt <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Nayeem Mujawar <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Sudheer Shiekh <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Mohammed Shahwaz Ahmed <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Bsj Nf <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; IranBudhathoki <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcmadina Wh <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcwh Taif <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcwh Yanbu <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Sachin Maheshwari <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Shafiq Ahmed <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Shihab Hamza <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Escalations Dxbteam <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: RE: Complaint details 18th -Jan .2020 (Baby Shop )

Dear Sir

Kindly find the below Details for BS COD Complaints on 18th JAN-20

Baby Shop-18-01-2020

Call ID

Call Date

Invoice No

Action Plan / Status

Reason

Call By

User Loc.

CALL DETALS

387014

18-1-2020

6457705116

The order already cancelled

Complaints

Iran

BSJ

Problem Statement: Not delivered yet

408556

18-1-2020

6460600566

Taif area- align Taif team to return or repairing the same on 20th-Jan

Complaints

Iran

BSJ

item is not working ,the customer want solution  repairing   or return

381900

18-1-2020

6458838248

Taif area-align Taif Team for Assemble the item on 20th Jan

Request

Iran

BSJ

Assembly Request

371256

18-1-2020

6456852752

Customer contact no wrong and now updated the correct no and scheduled on-19th Jan

Complaints

Iran

BSJ

Late Shipping

Best Regards,

Moosa Yusuf

Baby Shop Ware House.

Jeddah .Saudi Arabia .

IP-2102

From: Subhabrata Mandal
Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2020 2:24 PM
To: Moosa Yusuf <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: Navaz Nt <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Nayeem Mujawar <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Sudheer Shiekh <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Mohammed Shahwaz Ahmed <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Bsj Nf <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; IranBudhathoki <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcmadina Wh <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcwh Taif <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcwh Yanbu <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Sachin Maheshwari <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Shafiq Ahmed <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Shihab Hamza <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Escalations Dxbteam <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: RE: Complaint details 18th -Jan .2020 (Baby Shop )

Dear  Moosa ,

Pls incorporate timeline commitments in Action Plan .

Regards,

Subhabrata Mandal.

Regional Supply Chain Head -West & South (K.S.A).

 Mob: +966564930701 -Tel: +966 02 6921233 Ext 2000.

Email: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

<http://landmarkgroup.com/>

  PO Box 23679, Jeddah 21436, KSA

  Western Province, KSA

  www.landmarkgroup.com<http://www.landmarkgroup.com/>

  Get social:  <http://www.facebook.com/Homecentrestores>   <http://www.twitter.com/askhomecentre>   <https://www.linkedin.com/company/landmark-group>   <https://instagram.com/homecentrestores>

From: Moosa Yusuf <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2020 2:07 PM
To: Subhabrata Mandal <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: Navaz Nt <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Nayeem Mujawar <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Sudheer Shiekh <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Mohammed Shahwaz Ahmed <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Bsj Nf <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; IranBudhathoki <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcmadina Wh <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcwh Taif <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcwh Yanbu <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Sachin Maheshwari <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Shafiq Ahmed <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Shihab Hamza <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Escalations Dxbteam <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: RE: Complaint details 18th -Jan .2020 (Baby Shop )

Dear Sir

Kindly find the below Details for BS COD Complaints on 18th JAN-20

Baby Shop-19-01-2020

Call ID

Call Date

Invoice No

Action Plan / Status

Reason

Call By

User Loc.

CALL DETALS

387014

18-1-2020

6457705116

The order already cancelled

Complaints

Iran

BSJ

Problem Statement: Not delivered yet

408556

18-1-2020

6460600566

Taif area- align Taif team to return or repairing the same

Complaints

Iran

BSJ

item is not working ,the customer want solution  repairing   or return

381900

18-1-2020

6458838248

Taif area-align Taif Team for Assemble the item

Request

Iran

BSJ

Assembly Request

371256

18-1-2020

6456852752

Customer contact no wrong and now updated the correct no

Complaints

Iran

BSJ

Late Shipping

Best Regards,

Moosa Yusuf

Baby Shop Ware House.

Jeddah .Saudi Arabia .

IP-2102

From: Moosa Yusuf
Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2020 12:29 PM
To: Subhabrata Mandal <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: Navaz Nt <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Nayeem Mujawar <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Sudheer Shiekh <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Mohammed Shahwaz Ahmed <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Bsj Nf <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; IranBudhathoki <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcmadina Wh <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcwh Taif <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcwh Yanbu <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: RE: Complaint details 16th -Jan .2020 (Baby Shop )

Dear Sir

Kindly find the below Details for BS COD Complaints on 16th JAN-20

Baby Shop-16-01-2020

Call ID

Call Date

Invoice No

Action Plan / Status

Reason

Call By

User Loc.

CALL DETALS

[#406502] - Delivery

1/16/2020 7:05

6460502677

Taif area- Rescheduled on 18 Jan 2020

Complaints

Harun

BS-COD

What is the issue (Late Delivery) BabyShop WWD Team

COC ID 13053674

1/16/2020 8:43

6450933462

same schedule day customer does not answer our phone call. But once more we are rescheduling on 18 Jan 2020

Complaints

Harun

BS-COD

Please check and advise order status ASAP. Pending since Nov.

late delivery

1/16/2020 13:43

6444148352

Trip sheet checking Going on and we will check and replay the same ASAP

Complaints

Harun

BS-COD

(Not delivered order)

Late Delivery WWD

1/16/2020 13:43

6459222482

INV Not showing in JED WMS and informed to CCC Team

Complaints

Iran

BSJ

WWD product remains pending and was not delivered as per BS scheduled date

Best Regards,

Moosa Yusuf

Baby Shop Ware House.

Jeddah .Saudi Arabia .

IP-2102

From: Moosa Yusuf
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2020 11:57 AM
To: Subhabrata Mandal <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: Navaz Nt <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Nayeem Mujawar <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Sudheer Shiekh <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Mohammed Shahwaz Ahmed <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Bsj Nf <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; IranBudhathoki <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcmadina Wh <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcwh Taif <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcwh Yanbu <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: RE: Complaint details 15th -Jan .2020 (Baby Shop )

Dear Sir

Kindly find the below Details for BS COD Complaints on 15th JAN-20

Baby Shop-15-01-2020

Call ID

Call Date

Invoice No

Action Plan / Status

Reason

Call By

User Loc.

CALL DETALS

Late Delivery WWD

1/15/2020 6:55

6458891020

Re-scheduling on 18 Jan 2020

Complaints

Harun

BS-COD

Please ship this out on priority and arrange a delivery with the customer

Missing Item WWD

1/15/2020 6:55

6456720238

Not found in GDMS

Complaints

Harun

BS-COD

Kindly update us on the below case.

Order Delay - WWD

1/15/2020 8:25

6451244097

Customer want to cancel that’s we have been canceled in GDMS&WMS both of side

Request

Harun

BS-COD

Please go ahead with cancellation if that is what customer has requested on the call.

405496

1/15/2020 10:25

6459393687

The scheduled day customer does not answer our phone call but once more we are rescheduling on 18 Jan 2020

Complaints

Harun

BS-COD

Problem Statement: (Late Shipping) ​WWD ITEM .

401367

1/15/2020 10:25

6454704212

Re-scheduling on 16 Jan 2020

Complaints

Harun

BS-COD

late shipping

257812

1/15/2020 10:25

6451049835

Order status and discussed with Madinah team now we are rescheduling on 18 Jan 2020

Complaints

Harun

BS-COD

Late WWD

400050

1/15/2020 2:05

6458846456

As discussed with Yanbu team the scheduled day customer does not answer our phone call. Now we are rescheduling on 18 Jan 2020

Complaints

Harun

BS-COD

Problem Statement – Late Delivery WWD

371256

1/15/2020 3:05

6456852752

Customer Mobile no is wrong. Requested correct no from CCC Team for re-scheduling the same

Complaints

Harun

BS-COD

Late Shipping

381864

1/15/2020 4:05

6458486734

Stock collected from customer Home and informed the same to CCC Team for further process

Complaints

Harun

BS-COD

Still we didn't receive any update from the consult team

Late delivery WWD

1/15/2020 4:05

6458939201

Re-scheduled the order for 18th Jan

Request

Iran

BS-COD

Need urgent delivery

366801

1/15/2020 4:05

6456583685

Re-scheduled the order for 16th Jan

Request

Iran

BS-COD

customer location is far from MDH, collect from nearest store will be fine for customer

Best Regards,

Moosa Yusuf

Baby Shop Ware House.

Jeddah .Saudi Arabia .

IP-2102

From: Moosa Yusuf
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 3:01 PM
To: Subhabrata Mandal <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: Navaz Nt <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Nayeem Mujawar <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Sudheer Shiekh <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Mohammed Shahwaz Ahmed <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Bsj Nf <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; IranBudhathoki <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcmadina Wh <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcwh Taif <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Hcwh Yanbu <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: RE: Complaint details 14th -Jan .2020 (Baby Shop )

Dear Sir

Kindly find the below Details for BS COD Complaints on 14th JAN-20

Call ID

Call Date

Invoice No

Action Plan / Status

Reason

Call By

User Loc.

CALL DETALS

395830

1/14/2020 5:38

6458976098

The customer is not responding our phone call so now we re-scheduled the order as on 16th Jan.

Complaints

Iran

BSJ

Late Delivery

397392

1/14/2020 5:38

6455215262

     The order is cancelled from GDMS and WMS as well asper CCC Team request

Request

Iran

BSJ

Order cancellation

13015513

1/14/2020 5:38

6456670420

     The order is cancelled from GDMS and WMS as well asper CCC Team request

Complaints

Iran

BSJ

We have to update ministry today itself. COC case

Order Delay - WWD

1/14/2020 6:38

6451244097

     The order is cancelled from GDMS and WMS as well asper CCC Team request

Complaints

Harun

BSJ

Order Delay - WWD

257812

1/14/2020 7:38

6451049835

The order is  re-schedule for 18th Jan.

Complaints

Harun

BSJ

Can you please check and update us when it will be delivered.

401784

1/14/2020 7:38

6458024197

The mentioned order has been delivered on 13th Jan and POD Details shared to CCC Team

Complaints

Iran

BSJ

Conversation with Anonymous

394007

1/14/2020 7:38

6457527959

This customer location is 251 KM far away from Jeddah WH. So we are going to re-schedule the order for 16th Jan.

Complaints

Iran

BSJ

Kindly note that the order has been placed to be delivered on (Jan 01, 2020) and has not been delivered.

WWD

1/14/2020 7:38

6439951969

Waiting POD from Yanbu team

Complaints

Iran

BSJ

as the customer is extremely frustrated and wants the refund

378896

1/14/2020 7:38

6458117812

The order is schedule for 16th Jan.

Complaints

Iran

BSJ

Order placed on 24th Dec, Item not received and processed..

400427

1/14/2020 2:00

6459281671

status we are rescheduled on 15 Jan 2020

Complaints

Harun

BSJ

Need urgent shipping and delivery

394439

1/14/2020 2:00

6458850256

order place scheduled Madinah on 16 Jan 2020

Complaints

Harun

BSJ

Conversation with Wriggly Toffee

376652

1/14/2020 2:30

6456798159

order place schedule Madinah on 18 Jan 2020

Complaints

Harun

BSJ

but until now he didn't receive the below order,

403488

1/14/2020 2:58

6456924622

Asper customer order already done the delivery

Complaints

Iran

BSJ

Wrong Item Received WWD

397569

1/14/2020 4:55

6458770452

we already discussed with customer update schedule place date on 18 Jan 2020

Complaints

Harun

BSJ

Late delivery

Best Regards,

Moosa Yusuf

Baby Shop Ware House.

Jeddah .Saudi Arabia .

IP-2102

From: Moosa Yusuf
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 8:02 AM
To: Subhabrata Mandal <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: Navaz Nt <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Nayeem Mujawar <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Sudheer Shiekh <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Mohammed Shahwaz Ahmed <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Bsj Nf <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; IranBudhathoki <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: Complaint details 13th -Jan .2020 (Baby Shop )

Dear Sir

Kindly find the below Details for BS COD Complaints on 13th JAN-20

Call ID

Call Date

Invoice No

Action Plan / Status

Reason

Call By

User Loc.

CALL DETALS

COC ID13018056

1/13/2020 7:04

6458838248

Informed to Taif team to investigate the same with driver

Complaints

Harun

BSJ

customer bring someone and paid for assembly.

358670

1/13/2020 8:04

6457132452

    The order has some TECH issue and we have shared with IT Team- under follow-up

Complaints

Iran

 BSJ

Late Shipping WWD

264835

1/13/2020 6:04

6450972935

yesterday customer not answer our phone call and today also try to do the collect the stock .

Request

Harun

 BSJ

Customer paid in cash and want her money back in from cash, COD team already loop in the mail.

WWD - Damaged

1/13/2020 13:04

6446737543

stock dispatched to Madinah HC WH for replace the same

Complaints

Harun

 BSJ

Customer has reported receiving damaged item -WWD

Late Delivery - Social Media

1/13/2020 13:04

6449167048

Invoice showing already customer canceled and informed the same to CC Team

Request

Harun

 BSJ

Please check & update the status for below mentioned order.

393816

1/13/2020 13:38

6458775074

Re-scheduled as on 15th Jan 2020

Request

Harun

 BSJ

request you to expedite the delivery date as customer

incomplete item

1/13/2020 13:38

6458662347

Parts sending to HADDAB store at today for hand over to customer (Asper Advice Mr. Shihab- NF planner)

Complaints

Iran

 BSJ

Pl remove it from the box piece and handover to conlog team.

Best Regards,

Moosa Yusuf

Baby Shop Ware House.

Jeddah .Saudi Arabia .

IP-2102