Subject: Re: Status - update
From: Saurabh Dadu <[email-masked]>
To: Abdulmajeed <[email-masked]>, Syed Attaullah <[email-masked]>
Cc: Shakeeb Arsalan <[email-masked]>, Deeksha Dadu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 15:13:42 +0000

Dear Abdulmajeed,

Thanks for your email.

  1.  Mobile - Thanks for the update. However we would really need the phones not allowed inside the office at all. Please coordinate with your HR and make appropriate arrangements. Also please be sure to communicate with the agents to let them know its not our intent to make things difficult for them, but this is a procedure which must be followed for several reasons.
  2.  CRM/GDMS - Thank you. @Syed Attaullah<mailto:[email-masked]> - can you please verify to make sure all agents have been mapped a unique username/password. Also can you please check everyone knows how to use CRM/GDMS and its being done effectively.
  3.  Hiring: I understand you are really short on time, and the task is quite difficult for you. However with these numbers we won't get anywhere. You will need to push the HR to process more applications. @Shakeeb Arsalan<mailto:[email-masked]> - please share with me the assessment of all prospective new hires at Ithraa.

Saurabh Dadu
LiveSalesman
India: +91 120 4332621 x 17
US: 1 240 949 2437
Cell: +91 9810175203
________________________________
From: Abdulmajeed <[email-masked]>
Sent: 21 March 2022 7:36 PM
To: Saurabh Dadu <[email-masked]>
Cc: Shakeeb Arsalan <[email-masked]>; Deeksha Dadu <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Status - update

Hi Saurabh,

Thanks for asking, hope you're doing good as well.

For the mobile phone, I spoke to the HR team and they sent a letter to
all agents that using mobile phones is strictly prohibited unless on a
break or after the shift ended, will be monitoring closely about this
myself.

Regarding HB agents all of them now can use CRM/GDMS without any issue
as it team replaced all affected PCs.

as per the HR update, 12 agents interviewed, 8 Shortlisted, will be
interviewing tomorrow and the day after. the training will start next
Sunday for 5 days.

Thanks,
Abdulmajeed

On 2022-03-21 15:18, Saurabh Dadu wrote:
> Hi Abdulmajeed,
>
>  I hope you are well. Please update us on the status of the following
> items
>
>        * Agents not keeping their mobile phones with them - they should be
> stored outside of work
>        * All Home-Box agents being able to use GDMS/CRM/Hybris/Citrix
>        * How many people have been interviewed till now? What is the
> estimated start date of training?
>
> Saurabh Dadu
> LiveSalesman
> India: +91 120 4332621 x 17
> US: 1 240 949 2437
> Cell: +91 9810175203