Subject: Cancellation for CnC Order ID 9798572849 - Ticket ID 1424322
From: Nikhil Bishnoi <[email-masked]>
To: Seeta Seeta <[email-masked]>, Shakeeb Arsalan <[email-masked]>, "Fauzan Ahmad . Musalman" <[email-masked]>, Apoorv Joshi <[email-masked]>
Cc: Nikhil Bishnoi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 13:57:54 +0530

Dear team,

Problem Statement: Late Shipping
Order Date : 21/08/2020
Order ID: 9798572849
Tracking ID: 979857284999990001
Store ID: Splash21470
Assistance Required: Need Urgent Delivery

Issue Description: As per the Hybris the status of the shipment is 'Ready
to Shipped'. Kindly arrange the delivery to the store asap.

THE CUSTOMER WISH TO CANCEL THE ORDER NOW AND LOOKING FOR THE REFUND.

The same was escalated to WH, but no response. The customer came to us with
the issue on Aug 25. The customer is with us since May 2020 and has placed
19 orders with us.

Kindly assist.

Regards,
Nikhil.