Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order Not Received Yet
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 06:41:48 +0000

Hi Shakeeb Arsalan,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order Not Received Yet Hi,

I previously send 3 email but there was no response from babyshop.

My Order number is "6483634719
<https://www.babyshopstores.com/sa/en/my-account/order/6483634719?utm_source=hybris&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=order_shipped_SA_en>
"

The tracking number is "290087192310"

The given delivery date was on 2 May 2020, and I still didn't receive my
order yet.

I contacted with SMSA Express regarding my order and they told, they didn't
receive the order yet because the shipper did not shipped the package
physically.

Can you please give me the status of my order?
How many days more it will take to arrive?

Its already very late.

If it takes more time to arrive then, I want REFUND PLEASE.

Please, I need your response.

Best Regards,
Sheikh

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/862737