Subject: KSA Order Cancellation - Order No.100130345_1 / AWB 2007000026133
From: Hyacinth Joyce <[email-masked]>
To: Zubair Wahid <[email-masked]>, Hussain Firoz Miyagamwala <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 15:26:10 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Hi Team,

The customer called to follow up and requested to cancel the order due to
excessive delay.

Upon tracking seems like the shipment is not yet collected by the courier.

@Hussain Firoz Miyagamwala <[email-masked]> Kindly update CRA to
proceed with the refund.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

*Joyce Alvarado*
Customer Care Representative
p:  +971 (0)4 4339455  │ e: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> │ w:
www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B407-408, 4th Floor, Building 4,  D3, Dubai Design District, PO
Box 500245, Dubai, UAE