Subject: Orders Marked As Lost on Courier + 30 Days
From: Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>
To: customer care <[email-masked]>, Shajeeb Cheriyath <[email-masked]>, Sagar Khawani <[email-masked]>, Ekta Jesswani <[email-masked]>, Amir Julkarnain <[email-masked]>, Veronique Bachmann <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Shady Elgendy <[email-masked]>, Mohamed Magdy <[email-masked]>, lastmile <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 13:53:54 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Dear CC,

The below shipments have been updated as lost on the courier due to Severe
 Ageing. Please communicate with the customer and process refund for the
customer or check with them if they want to place a new order.

@'Shajeeb Cheriyath' <[email-masked]> @'Sagar Khawani'
<[email-masked]> Individual emails have been sent to you for each
courier and the tracker also to be updated.

General Status

Lost

*Count of AWB Number*

*Column Labels*

*Row Labels*

*>30 Days*

*Grand Total*

*KSA-KSA*

*94*

*94*

BARQ KSA

65

65

Wimo/Esnad

29

29

*UAE-KSA*

*32*

*32*

SMSA-Road

12

12

SMSA-Air

1

1

Wimo/Esnad

19

19

*Grand Total*

*126*

*126*

Best,

Eugene.