Subject: RE: Delayed order
From: Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>
To: Sara Abdelnabi <[email-masked]>, Hussain Firoz Miyagamwala <[email-masked]>, Zubair Wahid <[email-masked]>, KSA Lastmile <[email-masked]>, "Inbound.fc" <[email-masked]>, Efran Siddiqi <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>, "Outbound.fc" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2020 15:38:08 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

+ @Efran Siddiqi <[email-masked]>

Best,

Eugene.

*From:* Sara Abdelnabi <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Tuesday, June 9, 2020 3:24 PM
*To:* Hussain Firoz Miyagamwala <[email-masked]>; Zubair Wahid <
[email-masked]>; KSA Lastmile <[email-masked]>;
Inbound.fc <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>; customer care <
[email-masked]>; Outbound.fc <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Delayed order

hello team,

order no. 200288000 has shipments from TAM and upon checking:
TRACKING RESULT

Invalid number / data not currently available

Tam-KSA::832065003192 Tam-KSA::832097002771

please transfer order to DHL if possible and ensure urgent delivery.