Subject: RE: Order shows delivered but not received - 600868883_1 //awb: BazDelivery::NASIRMASH
From: Sagar Khawani <[email-masked]>
To: Taqwa Ali <[email-masked]>
Cc: Hussain Firoz Miyagamwala <[email-masked]>, Shajeeb Cheriyath <[email-masked]>, Mostafa saad <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Samiya Sheikh <[email-masked]>, customer care <[email-masked]>, Mary Anne Agapito <[email-masked]>, Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>, Yaseen Shaqra <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2020 12:23:50 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Pls provide some detail

I can’t process refund based on just lost

Lost by who ?

Courier or our driver lost it.

*From:* Taqwa Ali <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Tuesday, June 9, 2020 12:19 PM
*To:* Sagar Khawani <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* Shajeeb Cheriyath <[email-masked]>; Mostafa saad <
[email-masked]>; [email-masked]; Samiya Sheikh <
[email-masked]>; customer care <[email-masked]>; Mary Anne
Agapito <[email-masked]>; Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>;
Yaseen Shaqra <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Re: Order shows delivered but not received - 600868883_1 //awb:
BazDelivery::NASIRMASH

Dear sagar

Please assist , and refund the customer as shipment is lost

Regards

Taqwa

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 12:05 PM Mostafa saad <[email-masked]>
wrote:

Hello Taqwa

Please refund the customer.

@Shajeeb Cheriyath <[email-masked]> Order was updated on the sheet
to update it as lost.

Regards

Mostafa Saad

LM Supervisor at Mumzworld

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 11:18 AM Taqwa Ali <[email-masked]> wrote:

Dear Team

kindly assist

The CM confirmed that she didn't receive the order yet ( 600868883_1).

CM wants the order to be delivered today or she wants the refund.

Regards

Taqwa

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 9:31 AM Yaseen Shaqra <[email-masked]> wrote:

@[email-masked] <[email-masked]>  Please update us urgently, the
customer is following up

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 5:16 PM Clearway Express <[email-masked]>
wrote:

This order has been delivered to customer but customer have problem with
his goods what he order he didn't received.

Need to clerify with customer.

Regards

On Sun, 7 Jun 2020, 13:58 Samiya Sheikh, <[email-masked]> wrote:

Hi Team,

Kindly arrange an urgent delivery today. please assist.

@Mostafa saad <[email-masked]>

Regards

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 4:01 PM Mostafa saad <[email-masked]> wrote:

@[email-masked] <[email-masked]>  Please share your feedback.

Regards

Mostafa Saad

LM Supervisor at Mumzworld

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 3:21 PM Samiya Sheikh <[email-masked]> wrote:

Hi Team,

Kindly update this order and arrange an urgent delivery.

Regards

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 12:06 PM Mary Anne Agapito <[email-masked]>
wrote:

Hi Mostafa,

We have another customer who complained that her order was not delivered
like what was shown on the record.

Please check as we keep on receiving the same issue all the time.

Thank you

Warm Regards,

*Mary Anne Agapito*
Customer Care Representative
p:  +971 (0)4 4339455  │ e: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> │ w:
 www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B407-408, 4th Floor, Building 4,  D3, Dubai Design District, PO
Box 500245, Dubai, UAE

-- 

Best Regards,

*Yaseen Shaqra*

Customer Care Representative
p:  +971 4 4339455│ e: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>  │ w:
www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B101, 1st Floor, Building 4B, Dubai Design District, PO Box
500245, Dubai, UAE

*Error! Filename not specified.*