Subject: RE: International returns
From: Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>
To: Moataz Salah El Din <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ronald Gaviola <[email-masked]>, Ekta Jesswani <[email-masked]>, Amir Julkarnain <[email-masked]>, customer care <[email-masked]>, Asad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2020 09:31:31 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

@Moataz Salah El Din <[email-masked]>

As discussed, we are checking with DHL to support for these.

Can you also share number of international returns you usually have on
monthly basis by country if you can.

Best,

Eugene.

*From:* Moataz Salah El Din <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Tuesday, June 9, 2020 9:07 AM
*To:* Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* Ronald Gaviola <[email-masked]>; Ekta Jesswani <
[email-masked]>; Amir Julkarnain <[email-masked]>; customer care <
[email-masked]>; Asad . <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* International returns

Dear Eugene,

Please advise how we can proceed with the international returns as our
Aramex account #46422 is still on hold.

-- 

*Best regards,*

*Moataz Salah El-Din*
Customer Care Representative
p:  +971 (0)4 4339455 │ e: [email-masked] │ w: www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B407-408, 4th Floor, Building 4,  D3, Dubai Design District, PO
Box 500245, Dubai, UAE