Subject: Ticket Assigned - Fwd: Thanks for asking, we’re on it! Your Inquiry # CAS000149483A
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2019 07:38:07 +0000

Hi Mhd Obiedo,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Fwd: Thanks for asking, we’re on it! Your Inquiry # CAS000149483A 

أيقولون   ترجعت   الطلبيه   بناء  ع  طلبكم

من: "Shipa Support ([email-masked])" <[email-masked]>
التاريخ: ٧ ديسمبر، ٢٠١٩، ٩:٤٩:٥٤ ص غرينتش+٣
إلى: [email-masked], [email-masked]
الموضوع: RE:  Thanks for asking, we’re on it! Your Inquiry # CAS000149483A
رد على: Shipa Support <[email-masked]>

 عزيزنا العميل,

نعتذر عن الازعاج, ولكن الطلب قد تم ارجاعه بناءا على طلب الشركة.

Ahmad Hmaidat
Customer Care
[http://connections.agilityportal.com/Shipa-Email-Signature/images/shipa-sig.png]<https://www.shipa.com>
M: 800 SHIPA
www.shipa.com<https://www.shipa.com>

________________________________
From: [email-masked]
Sent: 4/12/2019 10:46 PM GMT+04:00
To: EMP022 Carry Customer Service ([email-masked])
Subject: Re: Thanks for asking, we’re on it! Your Inquiry # CAS000149483A

هل  هاذا  منطق   الموقع  كاتب  تم  التوصيل  ارسل  عملاء شيبا    يقول  سوف  نرسله  خلال  الاسبوع  القادم  اين  المصداقيه  وهل  يتم  الرد   تلقاي  بدون  قراءه  السوال

‫في ٠٤‏/١٢‏/٢٠١٩ الساعة ٧:٢١ م، كتب/كتبت ‏Shipa Support ([email-masked]) ‏<[email-masked]>:‬

[Shipa Delivery, Moving Delivery Forward]<https://www.shipadelivery.com>
Moving Logistics Forward

[https://system.eu2.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=11121&c=4344065&h=5ff9eccf7fbb2201825d]
[support icon]
[https://system.eu2.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=11121&c=4344065&h=5ff9eccf7fbb2201825d]

[https://system.eu2.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=11121&c=4344065&h=5ff9eccf7fbb2201825d]
[https://system.eu2.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=11121&c=4344065&h=5ff9eccf7fbb2201825d]
Inquiry Number CAS000149483A
[https://system.eu2.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=11121&c=4344065&h=5ff9eccf7fbb2201825d]
[https://system.eu2.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=11121&c=4344065&h=5ff9eccf7fbb2201825d]

Hello and thank you for getting in touch.

One of our champs will get back to you right away. In the meanwhile, feel free to check our help center<http://shipa.com/help-centre/> - you might just find your answer there.

Have a fabulous day,
Your Shipa Champ

[https://system.eu2.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=11121&c=4344065&h=5ff9eccf7fbb2201825d]
[https://system.eu2.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=11121&c=4344065&h=5ff9eccf7fbb2201825d]
[https://system.eu2.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=11121&c=4344065&h=5ff9eccf7fbb2201825d]
Shipa Delivery app:     [https://system.eu2.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=11121&c=4344065&h=5ff9eccf7fbb2201825d]         [Download from the app store]  <https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/carry-customer/id1090897073?ls=1&mt=8>  [https://system.eu2.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=11121&c=4344065&h=5ff9eccf7fbb2201825d]         [Download from the google play store]  <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=carry.client.carry.ae>
[https://system.eu2.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=11121&c=4344065&h=5ff9eccf7fbb2201825d]
Shipa Freight app:      [https://system.eu2.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=11121&c=4344065&h=5ff9eccf7fbb2201825d]         [Download from the app store]  <https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/shipa-freight/id1295657857?mt=8>        [https://system.eu2.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=11121&c=4344065&h=5ff9eccf7fbb2201825d]         [Download from the google play store]  <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.agility.shipafreight>
[https://system.eu2.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=11121&c=4344065&h=5ff9eccf7fbb2201825d]
[https://system.eu2.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=11121&c=4344065&h=5ff9eccf7fbb2201825d]
[https://system.eu2.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=11121&c=4344065&h=5ff9eccf7fbb2201825d]
[https://system.eu2.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=11121&c=4344065&h=5ff9eccf7fbb2201825d]
Mazaya Business Avenues, BB1, JLT. Dubai, UAE. | tel: +971 4 613 100 | www.shipa.com<http://shipa.com/>
[https://system.eu2.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=11121&c=4344065&h=5ff9eccf7fbb2201825d]
[https://system.eu2.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=11121&c=4344065&h=5ff9eccf7fbb2201825d]

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/320819