Subject: Re: 600879072_2 - ClearWayExpress::MUHAMMADUMAIR || UNDELIVERED ORDER
From: Hyacinth Joyce <[email-masked]>
To: Clearway Express <[email-masked]>, Uae Lastmile <[email-masked]>, Naib Khan <[email-masked]>, Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>, Mostafa saad <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>, Christian Mendoza <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 11:50:02 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Hi Team,

The customer for the above shipment called again to follow up.

Please ensure delivery TODAY, the customer is very upset for the delay. The
order shows shipped on 5th June.

The customer added that if delivery will not be done today she would want a
refund instead.

Kindly assist and advise ASAP.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

*Joyce Alvarado*
Customer Care Representative
p:  +971 (0)4 4339455  │ e: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> │ w:
www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B407-408, 4th Floor, Building 4,  D3, Dubai Design District, PO
Box 500245, Dubai, UAE

On Mon, 15 Jun 2020 at 09:33, Christian Mendoza <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> Customer did not receive this order. Please action ASAP
>
> Thank you and Best Regards,
>
>