Subject: RE: Order #600803913 // AEW-24484310 // Safety 1st, U-Pressure Fit Auto - Close Door Gates White // Defective
From: Umang Mehrotra <[email-masked]>
To: "Alina D'Souza" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Returns.fc" <[email-masked]>, Mohammad Abdul Naser <[email-masked]>, customer care <[email-masked]>, Kenneth Nwaso <[email-masked]>, Michaela Manibo <[email-masked]>, Hyacinth Joyce <[email-masked]>, Denmark A <[email-masked]>, Mohamed Magdy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 17:56:03 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Hi Alina,

The order number 600803913 is already been received. The other is still not
received.

Regards,

Umang Mehrotra

*From:* Alina D'Souza [mailto:[email-masked]]
*Sent:* Thursday, June 18, 2020 5:34 PM
*To:* Hyacinth Joyce <[email-masked]>; Umang Mehrotra <
[email-masked]>; Denmark A <[email-masked]>; Mohamed Magdy <
[email-masked]>
*Cc:* Returns.fc <[email-masked]>; Mohammad Abdul Naser <
[email-masked]>; customer care <[email-masked]>; Kenneth Nwaso
<[email-masked]>; Michaela Manibo <
[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Re: Order #600803913 // AEW-24484310 // Safety 1st, U-Pressure
Fit Auto - Close Door Gates White // Defective

Hi Denmark / Umang,

Customer claims we collected the below please confirm asap

Replacement has to be placed.CRA_AR_RE11989 and CRA_AR_RE12747

Order# 600803913 for Safety 1st, U-Pressure Fit Auto - Close Door Gates
White

Order# 600834359 for 1 QTY Safety 1st, 14 cm extension for Door Gates White

Regards,

Alina

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 6:43 PM Alina D'Souza <[email-masked]> wrote:

Hi Denmark ,

Update CRA pls

Regards,

Alina

On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 10:48 AM Hyacinth Joyce <[email-masked]> wrote:

Hi team,

The customer called again to follow up and is very upset for the delay.

She needs a replacement urgently.

Kindly update and advise ASAP.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

*Joyce Alvarado*

Customer Care Representative

p:  +971 (0)4 4339455  │ e: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> │ w:
www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B407-408, 4th Floor, Building 4,  D3, Dubai Design District, PO
Box 500245, Dubai, UAE

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 at 11:01, Michaela Manibo <[email-masked]>
wrote:

Team,

Good morning.

We need an urgent action and solution for this item.  Customer is very
furious about the delay.

Please advise ASAP

Thanks!

On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 3:16 PM Denmark A <[email-masked]> wrote:

Dear Vendor,

Please see the below customer complaint and allow us to send the item back
to you for your further evaluation.

Customer comments :

One of the auto close door gate that I bought is not closing automatically.
We tried to fix them when we received the extensions couple of days before
and it didn’t work. So one of the item needs to be replaced ASAP cause I
have a baby at home.

We appreciate your support in this matter, Thank you.

Stay HOME Stay SAFE…

Regards,

Den mark