Subject: RE: Order #600858412 // AL-NB9-1012 // NutriBullet Pro Series 10pcs Set 900W // Defective
From: Umang Mehrotra <[email-masked]>
To: "Alina D'Souza" <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>, "Returns.fc" <[email-masked]>, Kenneth Nwaso <[email-masked]>, Denmark A <[email-masked]>, Mohamed Magdy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 12:18:21 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

-Vendor,

Hi Alina,

Is this done?

Regards,

Umang Mehrotra

*From:* Denmark A [mailto:[email-masked]]
*Sent:* Sunday, June 7, 2020 11:12 AM
*To:* Abel <[email-masked]>; Alina D'Souza <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* Ivy <[email-masked]>; customer care <[email-masked]>;
Returns.fc <[email-masked]>; Kenneth Nwaso <
[email-masked]>; Umang Mehrotra <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Re: Order #600858412 // AL-NB9-1012 // NutriBullet Pro Series
10pcs Set 900W // Defective

@Alina D'Souza <[email-masked]> Please inform the customer regarding
this matter.

Regards,

Den mark

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 11:04 AM Abel <[email-masked]> wrote:

Dear Team,

Be reminded that all accessories (blade, cup, lid, lip ring) are not
covered by the warranty.

The blade assembly when damaged I cannot be repaired anymore.

The customer needs to buy new one.

Thanks and regards,

Abel

*From:* Denmark A [mailto:[email-masked]]
*Sent:* Sunday, June 7, 2020 10:44 AM
*To:* Ivy <[email-masked]>; Abel <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* customer care <[email-masked]>; Returns.fc <
[email-masked]>; Kenneth Nwaso <[email-masked]>;
Umang Mehrotra <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Order #600858412 // AL-NB9-1012 // NutriBullet Pro Series 10pcs
Set 900W // Defective

Dear Vendor,

Please see the below customer complaint and allow us to send the item back
to you for your further evaluation.

Comments :Blade stops and works intermittently

We appreciate your support in this matter, Thank you.

Stay HOME Stay SAFE…

Regards,

Den mark