Subject: RE: Order # 100124038- Customer want to Cancel order due to delay- KSA
From: Lima Premlal <[email-masked]>
To: "Outbound.fc" <[email-masked]>, KSA Lastmile <[email-masked]>, Zubair Wahid <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Hussain Firoz Miyagamwala <[email-masked]>, Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 11:24:36 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Dear Team,

Please note that customer is not ready to wait for their orders and request
to cancel and refund the order. Please recall the delivery and create CRA
to raise refund.

Regards,

Lima

*From:* Lima Premlal <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Sunday, June 14, 2020 7:38 PM
*To:* Outbound.fc <[email-masked]>; KSA Lastmile <
[email-masked]>; Zubair Wahid <[email-masked]>; '
[email-masked]' <[email-masked]>; Hussain
Firoz Miyagamwala <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Order # 100124038- Customer want to Cancel order due to delay-
KSA
*Importance:* High

Dear Team,

Please note that the customer wants to cancel the order as it is too
delayed and wants a refund.

Please recall the deliveries and are we good to close the order? Please
advise.

Regards,

Lima