Subject: RE: SO# 600848037 - HA-687024
From: Laura Thomson <[email-masked]>
To: Bernadette Villahermosa <[email-masked]>, Yaseen Shaqra <[email-masked]>, Kia <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>, Jeremie Jizmundo <[email-masked]>, Babico Trading <[email-masked]>, Jenerose Colipano <[email-masked]>, Liza Nocete <[email-masked]>, "Alina D'Souza" <[email-masked]>, Mark Jayson Canaria <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 10:08:01 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Hi Bernadette

Thanks for the prompt response and understanding esp. when we deal with new
parents as customers.

@Yaseen Shaqra <[email-masked]> can you please arrange to have the
item picked up returned to Babico for inspection to see what can be done.

Thanks,

Laura

*From:* Bernadette Villahermosa <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Tuesday, June 16, 2020 9:42 AM
*To:* Laura Thomson <[email-masked]>; Yaseen Shaqra <
[email-masked]>; Kia <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* customer care <[email-masked]>; Jeremie Jizmundo <
[email-masked]>; Babico Trading <[email-masked]>; Jenerose Colipano <
[email-masked]>; Liza Nocete <[email-masked]>; Alina D'Souza <
[email-masked]>; Mark Jayson Canaria <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* RE: SO# 600848037 - HA-687024

Hi Laura,

Good morning!

We’re on the same page-  your priority is also our priority and that is to
keep our customers fully satisfied and happy as much as possible. We really
take pride with Hauck products and it’s a rare instance that we receive a
complaint specially about the metal glider. By carefully checking at the
video and photos that the customer sent , we concluded that the item has no
defects or problem. So for us to have a further investigation, we suggest
you to return the item and once proven defective, we will replace it.

Regards,

Bernadette

*From:* Laura Thomson <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Tuesday, June 16, 2020 9:04 AM
*To:* Bernadette Villahermosa <[email-masked]>; Yaseen Shaqra <
[email-masked]>; Kia <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* customer care <[email-masked]>; Jeremie Jizmundo <
[email-masked]>; Babico Trading <[email-masked]>; Jenerose Colipano <
[email-masked]>; Liza Nocete <[email-masked]>; Alina D'Souza <
[email-masked]>; Mark Jayson Canaria <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* RE: SO# 600848037 - HA-687024

Hi Bernadette and Babico Team,

Would be great to understand if we have to come to a solution on the below
case. As you know it is always our priority to keep our customers happy and
in this case we have a customer who is extremely unhappy with the quality
of Hauck products brought on Mumzworld.

Let’s try to find a resolution for this case and keep this customer a Hauck
customer in the process.

Can we replace this item?

Best

Laura

*From:* Bernadette Villahermosa <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Thursday, June 11, 2020 3:18 PM
*To:* Yaseen Shaqra <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* customer care <[email-masked]>; Jeremie Jizmundo <
[email-masked]>; Babico Trading <[email-masked]>; Jenerose Colipano <
[email-masked]>; Liza Nocete <[email-masked]>; Alina D'Souza <
[email-masked]>; Laura Thomson <[email-masked]>; Mark Jayson
Canaria <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* RE: SO# 600848037 - HA-687024

Hi Yaseen,

Honestly, there’s nothing wrong with the item.

If she’s complaining about the chair padding, that is only normal, it’s not
really as foamy as she expected but comfy enough for relaxation.

She said that it snaps back harshly but we didn’t see it in the video.
Apologies but the problem that she complained about is not really clear.

Regards,

Bernadette

*From:* Yaseen Shaqra <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Thursday, June 11, 2020 8:57 AM
*To:* Bernadette Villahermosa <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* customer care <[email-masked]>; Jeremie Jizmundo <
[email-masked]>; Babico Trading <[email-masked]>; Jenerose Colipano <
[email-masked]>; Liza Nocete <[email-masked]>; Alina D'Souza <
[email-masked]>; Laura Thomson <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Re: SO# 600848037 - HA-687024

Hi Team,

Please find the attachment for the customer videos

** *IMG_3350.MOV*
<https://drive.google.com/a/mumzworld.com/file/d/1VAa0c0mIXOtCgok2Wf3rlOcuijEhO-Y1/view?usp=drive_web>*[image:
Image removed by sender.]*

** *IMG_3423.MOV*
<https://drive.google.com/a/mumzworld.com/file/d/16oRlPK4MMhwx4eY9-Whp-mrZEpgoANCU/view?usp=drive_web>*[image:
Image removed by sender.]*

** *IMG_3424.MOV*
<https://drive.google.com/a/mumzworld.com/file/d/1mQVBVF8WsPPSmz0rommKkz1BbE7qkIav/view?usp=drive_web>*[image:
Image removed by sender.]*

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 10:58 AM Bernadette Villahermosa <[email-masked]>
wrote:

Hi Yaseen,

Good day!

The customer might have mistaken the item. By looking at the picture, the
item seems to be in good condition.

Please see below comments:

   - the chair padding has flattened – padding is in it’s normal condition,
   not too think or too thin.

   - the chair does tend to get stuck in the incline position and when the
   customer sets again it snaps back quite harshly – The backrest can be
   fully adjusted to the resting position and you just need to set the locking
   mechanism (see the picture below)  to stay as it is otherwise it will
   automatically go back once you stand or back to your normal sitting posture.

Sharing also the video link on how the metal glider really works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5ksSUCneok

Is it possible to ask the customer for a video to see on how it tends to
snap back?

Regards,

Bernadette

*From:* Yaseen Shaqra <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Tuesday, June 09, 2020 5:57 PM
*To:* Bernadette Villahermosa <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* customer care <[email-masked]>; Jeremie Jizmundo <
[email-masked]>; Babico Trading <[email-masked]>; Jenerose Colipano <
[email-masked]>; Liza Nocete <[email-masked]>; Alina D'Souza <
[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Re: SO# 600848037 - HA-687024

Hi Bernadette,

Please find the PO

POMUMZ_DXB192610

@Alina D'Souza <[email-masked]> Please arrange the collection at the
soonest

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 4:30 PM Yaseen Shaqra <[email-masked]> wrote:

Hi Jeremie,

Please update us ASAP, the customer is following up again

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 12:02 PM Yaseen Shaqra <[email-masked]>
wrote:

@Jeremie Jizmundo <[email-masked]> Please share the PO with us

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 11:38 AM Bernadette Villahermosa <[email-masked]>
wrote:

Hi Yassen.

Please give us the PO number.

Regards,

Bernadette

*From:* Bernadette Villahermosa
*Sent:* Monday, June 08, 2020 9:51 AM
*To:* Yaseen Shaqra <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* customer care <[email-masked]>; Jeremie Jizmundo <
[email-masked]>; Babico Trading <[email-masked]>; Jenerose Colipano <
[email-masked]>; Liza Nocete <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* RE: SO# 600848037 - HA-687024

Hi Yassen,

Good day!

Please send us also the PO number.

Thank you,

Bernadette

*From:* Yaseen Shaqra <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Monday, June 08, 2020 9:21 AM
*To:* Babico Trading <[email-masked]>; April Catral <[email-masked]>;
Liza Nocete <[email-masked]>; Bernadette Villahermosa <[email-masked]>;
Jenerose Colipano <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* customer care <[email-masked]>; Jeremie Jizmundo <
[email-masked]>
*Subject:* SO# 600848037 - HA-687024

Hi Team,

Please note that the customer informed that the chair padding has flattened

And the chair does tend to get stuck in the incline position and when the
customer sets again it snaps back quite harshly

-- 

Best Regards,

*Yaseen Shaqra*

Customer Care Representative
p:  +971 4 4339455│ e: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>  │ w:
www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B101, 1st Floor, Building 4B, Dubai Design District, PO Box
500245, Dubai, UAE

-- 

Best Regards,

*Yaseen Shaqra*

Customer Care Representative
p:  +971 4 4339455│ e: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>  │ w:
www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B101, 1st Floor, Building 4B, Dubai Design District, PO Box
500245, Dubai, UAE

-- 

Best Regards,

*Yaseen Shaqra*

Customer Care Representative
p:  +971 4 4339455│ e: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>  │ w:
www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B101, 1st Floor, Building 4B, Dubai Design District, PO Box
500245, Dubai, UAE

-- 

Best Regards,

*Yaseen Shaqra*

Customer Care Representative
p:  +971 4 4339455│ e: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>  │ w:
www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B101, 1st Floor, Building 4B, Dubai Design District, PO Box
500245, Dubai, UAE

*Error! Filename not specified.*

-- 

Best Regards,

*Yaseen Shaqra*

Customer Care Representative
p:  +971 4 4339455│ e: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>  │ w:
www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B101, 1st Floor, Building 4B, Dubai Design District, PO Box
500245, Dubai, UAE