Subject: RE: FW: Order # 600832385 // PRFT-D40BU-BK // NESPRESSO - Inissia D40 with Aeroccino Coffee Machine // Missing
From: Marla Joy Laurico <[email-masked]>
To: Mamdouh Younes <[email-masked]>, Vipul Arora <[email-masked]>, Hyacinth Joyce <[email-masked]>
Cc: Denmark A <[email-masked]>, "Returns.fc" <[email-masked]>, "Alina D'Souza" <[email-masked]>, Samran Iftikhar <[email-masked]>, Umang Mehrotra <[email-masked]>, Mohamed Magdy <[email-masked]>, Shady Elgendy <[email-masked]>, Ekta Jesswani <[email-masked]>, Mohit Caleb <[email-masked]>, Mostafa Said <[email-masked]>, Syed Yakoob <[email-masked]>, Muhammad Habib <[email-masked]>, "Outbound.fc" <[email-masked]>, Radwa Ali <[email-masked]>, John Garcia <[email-masked]>, Vipin Raj <
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 21:24:04 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Dear Joyce and Team,

Please do let me know if this issue has been resolved.

Regards,

Marla

*From:* Marla Joy Laurico <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Thursday, June 11, 2020 11:05 AM
*To:* 'Mamdouh Younes' <[email-masked]>; 'Vipul Arora' <
[email-masked]>; 'Hyacinth Joyce' <[email-masked]>; 'Hyacinth
Joyce' <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* 'Denmark A' <[email-masked]>; 'Returns.fc' <
[email-masked]>; 'Alina D'Souza' <[email-masked]>; 'Samran
Iftikhar' <[email-masked]>; 'Umang Mehrotra' <[email-masked]>;
'Mohamed Magdy' <[email-masked]>; 'Shady Elgendy' <
[email-masked]>; 'Vipul Arora' <[email-masked]>; 'Ekta Jesswani' <
[email-masked]>; 'Hyacinth Joyce' <[email-masked]>; 'Mohit Caleb' <
[email-masked]>; 'Mostafa Said' <[email-masked]>; 'Syed
Yakoob' <[email-masked]>; 'Muhammad Habib' <[email-masked]>;
'Outbound.fc' <[email-masked]>; 'Radwa Ali' <[email-masked]>;
'John Garcia' <[email-masked]>; 'Vipin Raj' <[email-masked]>;
'customer care' <[email-masked]>; 'Edel Saballa' <[email-masked]>;
'Leena' <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* RE: FW: Order # 600832385 // PRFT-D40BU-BK // NESPRESSO -
Inissia D40 with Aeroccino Coffee Machine // Missing

Dear Joyce,

Awaiting. We need to sort this issue asap as I’m getting a call from the
brand.

They are not happy that the customer is waiting for a long time just to fix
the issue.

Regards,

Marla

*From:* Marla Joy Laurico <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Tuesday, June 9, 2020 10:02 AM
*To:* 'Mamdouh Younes' <[email-masked]>; 'Vipul Arora' <
[email-masked]>; 'Hyacinth Joyce' <[email-masked]>; 'Hyacinth
Joyce' <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* 'Denmark A' <[email-masked]>; 'Returns.fc' <
[email-masked]>; 'Alina D'Souza' <[email-masked]>; 'Samran
Iftikhar' <[email-masked]>; 'Umang Mehrotra' <[email-masked]>;
'Mohamed Magdy' <[email-masked]>; 'Shady Elgendy' <
[email-masked]>; 'Vipul Arora' <[email-masked]>; 'Ekta Jesswani' <
[email-masked]>; 'Hyacinth Joyce' <[email-masked]>; 'Mohit Caleb' <
[email-masked]>; 'Mostafa Said' <[email-masked]>; 'Syed
Yakoob' <[email-masked]>; 'Muhammad Habib' <[email-masked]>;
'Outbound.fc' <[email-masked]>; 'Radwa Ali' <[email-masked]>;
'John Garcia' <[email-masked]>; 'Vipin Raj' <[email-masked]>;
'customer care' <[email-masked]>; 'Edel Saballa' <[email-masked]>;
'Leena' <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* RE: FW: Order # 600832385 // PRFT-D40BU-BK // NESPRESSO -
Inissia D40 with Aeroccino Coffee Machine // Missing

Dear Joyce,

Hope you manage to get more pictures as requested.

Regards,

Marla

*From:* Marla Joy Laurico <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Monday, June 8, 2020 5:45 PM
*To:* 'Mamdouh Younes' <[email-masked]>; Vipul Arora <
[email-masked]>; Hyacinth Joyce <[email-masked]>; 'Hyacinth
Joyce' <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* 'Denmark A' <[email-masked]>; 'Returns.fc' <
[email-masked]>; 'Alina D'Souza' <[email-masked]>; 'Samran
Iftikhar' <[email-masked]>; 'Umang Mehrotra' <[email-masked]>;
'Mohamed Magdy' <[email-masked]>; 'Shady Elgendy' <
[email-masked]>; 'Vipul Arora' <[email-masked]>; 'Ekta Jesswani' <
[email-masked]>; 'Hyacinth Joyce' <[email-masked]>; 'Mohit Caleb' <
[email-masked]>; 'Mostafa Said' <[email-masked]>; 'Syed
Yakoob' <[email-masked]>; 'Muhammad Habib' <[email-masked]>;
'Outbound.fc' <[email-masked]>; 'Radwa Ali' <[email-masked]>;
'John Garcia' <[email-masked]>; 'Vipin Raj' <[email-masked]>;
'customer care' <[email-masked]>; 'Edel Saballa' <[email-masked]>;
'Leena' <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* RE: FW: Order # 600832385 // PRFT-D40BU-BK // NESPRESSO -
Inissia D40 with Aeroccino Coffee Machine // Missing

Dear Mamdouh and Vipul,

Please see the below.

Joyce in reading,

Appreciate if you can ask the customer to get more picture of the box
(front and back view) and barcode as well.

Regards,

Marla

*From:* Marla Joy Laurico <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Monday, June 8, 2020 5:25 PM
*To:* 'Mamdouh Younes' <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* Denmark A <[email-masked]>; Returns.fc <
[email-masked]>; Alina D'Souza <[email-masked]>; Samran
Iftikhar <[email-masked]>; Umang Mehrotra <[email-masked]>;
Mohamed Magdy <[email-masked]>; Shady Elgendy <[email-masked]>;
Vipul Arora <[email-masked]>; Ekta Jesswani <[email-masked]>;
Hyacinth Joyce <[email-masked]>; Mohit Caleb <[email-masked]>;
Mostafa Said <[email-masked]>; Syed Yakoob <[email-masked]>;
Muhammad Habib <[email-masked]>; Outbound.fc <
[email-masked]>; Radwa Ali <[email-masked]>; John Garcia <
[email-masked]>; Vipin Raj <[email-masked]>; customer care <
[email-masked]>; Edel Saballa <[email-masked]>; Leena <
[email-masked]>
*Subject:* RE: FW: Order # 600832385 // PRFT-D40BU-BK // NESPRESSO -
Inissia D40 with Aeroccino Coffee Machine // Missing

Dear Mamdouh,

If both items are inside this perfect.

The issue is we have given a small box to the customer.

Regards,

Marla

*From:* Mamdouh Younes <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Monday, June 8, 2020 5:16 PM
*To:* Marla Joy Laurico <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* Denmark A <[email-masked]>; Returns.fc <
[email-masked]>; Alina D'Souza <[email-masked]>; Samran
Iftikhar <[email-masked]>; Umang Mehrotra <[email-masked]>;
Mohamed Magdy <[email-masked]>; Shady Elgendy <[email-masked]>;
Vipul Arora <[email-masked]>; Ekta Jesswani <[email-masked]>;
Hyacinth Joyce <[email-masked]>; Mohit Caleb <[email-masked]>;
Mostafa Said <[email-masked]>; Syed Yakoob <[email-masked]>;
Muhammad Habib <[email-masked]>; Outbound.fc <
[email-masked]>; Radwa Ali <[email-masked]>; John Garcia <
[email-masked]>; Vipin Raj <[email-masked]>; customer care <
[email-masked]>; Edel Saballa <[email-masked]>; Leena <
[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Re: FW: Order # 600832385 // PRFT-D40BU-BK // NESPRESSO -
Inissia D40 with Aeroccino Coffee Machine // Missing

Hi Marla

Yes it's inside the box

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020, 5:13 PM Marla Joy Laurico <[email-masked]> wrote:

Dear Mamdouh,

Please advise if the Inissia D40 machine is inside the box. I  can see the
aeroccino Coffee machine (milk frother)

Regards,

Marla

*From:* Mamdouh Younes <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Monday, June 8, 2020 5:04 PM
*To:* Marla Joy Laurico <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* Denmark A <[email-masked]>; Returns.fc <
[email-masked]>; Alina D'Souza <[email-masked]>; Samran
Iftikhar <[email-masked]>; Umang Mehrotra <[email-masked]>;
Mohamed Magdy <[email-masked]>; Shady Elgendy <[email-masked]>;
Vipul Arora <[email-masked]>; Ekta Jesswani <[email-masked]>;
Hyacinth Joyce <[email-masked]>; Mohit Caleb <[email-masked]>;
Mostafa Said <[email-masked]>; Syed Yakoob <[email-masked]>;
Muhammad Habib <[email-masked]>; Outbound.fc <
[email-masked]>; Radwa Ali <[email-masked]>; John Garcia <
[email-masked]>; Vipin Raj <[email-masked]>; customer care <
[email-masked]>; Edel Saballa <[email-masked]>; Leena <
[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Re: FW: Order # 600832385 // PRFT-D40BU-BK // NESPRESSO -
Inissia D40 with Aeroccino Coffee Machine // Missing

Hi Marla.

Kindly check the attached pictures for the current inventory we have for
the same item as requested

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020, 4:42 PM Mamdouh Younes <[email-masked]> wrote:

052 609 3397

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020, 4:37 PM Marla Joy Laurico <[email-masked]> wrote:

Please elaborate the below mail Mamdouh.

Regards

Marla

*From:* Mamdouh Younes <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Monday, June 8, 2020 4:28 PM
*To:* Marla Joy Laurico <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* Denmark A <[email-masked]>; Returns.fc <
[email-masked]>; Alina D'Souza <[email-masked]>; Samran
Iftikhar <[email-masked]>; Umang Mehrotra <[email-masked]>;
Mohamed Magdy <[email-masked]>; Shady Elgendy <[email-masked]>;
Vipul Arora <[email-masked]>; Ekta Jesswani <[email-masked]>;
Hyacinth Joyce <[email-masked]>; Mohit Caleb <[email-masked]>;
Mostafa Said <[email-masked]>; Syed Yakoob <[email-masked]>;
Muhammad Habib <[email-masked]>; Outbound.fc <
[email-masked]>; Radwa Ali <[email-masked]>; John Garcia <
[email-masked]>; Vipin Raj <[email-masked]>; customer care <
[email-masked]>; Edel Saballa <[email-masked]>; Leena . <
[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Re: FW: Order # 600832385 // PRFT-D40BU-BK // NESPRESSO -
Inissia D40 with Aeroccino Coffee Machine // Missing

Hi Marla

We have replied on this issue earlier also and we checked the existing
stock and the aeroccino exist within the same package below the machine
however we have received one piece yesterday from the vendor and its the
same as what checked earlier.

Thanks & Regards

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020, 1:48 PM Marla Joy Laurico <[email-masked]> wrote:

Dear All,

It’s been highlighted to me that this issue has not been resolve till today
and the customer is still waiting for the missing item.

The customer bought Inissia Bundle (Inissia Coffee Machine + Aerocino) and
Nespresso team supplied the same however Inissia item has been delivered
only to the customer.

Kindly cross check  with the warehouse once again the missing item and
advice how to resolve this asap.

Also re track all the orders you have fulfilled within that week and before
dispatching the goods cross check if it’s the right product.

Regards,

Marla

*From:* Yuri Myronov <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Monday, June 8, 2020 12:55 PM
*To:* Pinky Dechimo <[email-masked]>; Denmark A <
[email-masked]>; LPO Perfetto <[email-masked]>; Perfetto
Ecommerce <[email-masked]>; Nespresso <[email-masked]>;
Marla Joy Laurico <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* customer care <[email-masked]>; Returns.fc <
[email-masked]>; Alina D'Souza <[email-masked]>; Samran
Iftikhar <[email-masked]>; Umang Mehrotra <[email-masked]>;
Mohamed Magdy <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* RE: Order # 600832385 // PRFT-D40BU-BK // NESPRESSO - Inissia
D40 with Aeroccino Coffee Machine // Missing
*Importance:* High

Dear Marla,

I hope this email finds you well.

As discussed over the phone – kindly note on the below matter and attached
email communication.

It is really goes beyond of acceptable that customer is still waiting for
missing product. We have already confirmed that the right product was
picked from our WH however the wrong product was delivered to the customer
and it Is not the first time that this happened. We have already suggested
on the solution – please refer to the attached email.

This kind of accidents are affecting both Brand’s image and we can’t afford
that.

Kindly address this issue to the concerned department and get it resolved
urgently.

Awaiting for your feedback on the resolution.

Thanks and best regards,

*Yuri Myronov* | Trade Manager

*Perfetto Trading Company L.L.C.  *

Emarat Atrium Bldg. - Office 207, Sheikh Zayed Road

Dubai, United Arabs Emirates, P.O. Box 282445

Tel: +971 4 3210888    Mob: +971 50 9586879

800NESPRESSO (800637773776)    www.buynespresso.com

*ü Please consider the environment before printing this email.
<https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>*

*Disclaimer: This message and any attachments transmitted with it contain
confidential information and are intended solely for the use of the
recipient and may be legally privileged information. If you are not the
named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail
or its attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you
have received this message by mistake and permanently delete it from your
system. No employee or agent is authorized to conclude any binding
agreement on behalf of Perfetto Trading Co. LLC with another party by email
without express written confirmation in hard copy. E-mail transmission
cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be
intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete. The
recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of
viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message or for any damage caused by any
virus/worms transmitted by this email. If verification is required,
please request a hard-copy version. <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>*

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

*From: Pinky Dechimo <[email-masked]> Sent: 08 June 2020
12:25To: Denmark A <[email-masked]>; Yuri Myronov
<[email-masked]>; LPO Perfetto <[email-masked]>; Perfetto
Ecommerce <[email-masked]>; Nespresso
<[email-masked]>Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>;
Returns.fc <[email-masked]>; Alina D'Souza <[email-masked]>;
Samran Iftikhar <[email-masked]>; Umang Mehrotra
<[email-masked]>; Mohamed Magdy <[email-masked]>Subject: RE:
Order # 600832385 // PRFT-D40BU-BK // NESPRESSO - Inissia D40 with
Aeroccino Coffee Machine // Missing <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>*

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

Hi! Denmark, <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

Please find attached mail from Yuri regarding below issue.
<https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

Note that as per communication it seems that your warehouse team sent
single machine instead of bundle. <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

Kindly find below the difference of packaging for Inissia single and
Inissia bundle machine. <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

Thank you & Best Regards, <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

*Pinky Dechimo | Trade Coordinator <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>*

*  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>*

*Perfetto Trading Company L.L.C.*  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

Emarat Atrium Bldg. - Office 207, Sheikh Zayed Road
<https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

Dubai, United Arabs Emirates, P.O. Box 282445
<https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

Tel: +971 4 321 0888    Mob: +971 50 955 6197
<https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

800NESPRESSO (800637773776)    www.buynespresso.com
<https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

Please consider the environment before printing this email.
<https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

*Disclaimer: This message and any attachments transmitted with it contain
confidential information and are intended solely for the use of the
recipient and may be legally privileged information. If you are not the
named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail
or its attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you
have received this message by mistake and permanently delete it from your
system. No employee or agent is authorized to conclude any binding
agreement on behalf of Perfetto Trading Co. LLC with another party by email
without express written confirmation in hard copy. E-mail transmission
cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be
intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete. The
recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of
viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message or for any damage caused by any
virus/worms transmitted by this email. If verification is required,
please request a hard-copy version. <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>*

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

*From: Denmark A <[email-masked]> Sent: Monday, June 8, 2020 12:00
PMTo: Pinky Dechimo <[email-masked]>; Yuri Myronov
<[email-masked]>; LPO Perfetto <[email-masked]>; Perfetto
Ecommerce <[email-masked]>; Nespresso
<[email-masked]>Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>;
Returns.fc <[email-masked]>; Alina D'Souza <[email-masked]>;
Samran Iftikhar <[email-masked]>; Umang Mehrotra
<[email-masked]>; Mohamed Magdy <[email-masked]>Subject: Order
# 600832385 // PRFT-D40BU-BK // NESPRESSO - Inissia D40 with Aeroccino
Coffee Machine // Missing <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>*

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

Dear Vendor, <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

Please see the below customer complaint and allow us to send the item back
to you for your further evaluation.  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

Customer Comment:  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

the aeroccino is missing   <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

We appreciate your support in this matter, Thank you.
<https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

Regards, <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

Den mark  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Yuri Myronov <[email-masked]>
To: Hyacinth Joyce <[email-masked]>, Mamdouh Younes <
[email-masked]>, Marla Joy Laurico <[email-masked]>, Mohit
Caleb <[email-masked]>, Mostafa Said <[email-masked]>, Syed
Yakoob <[email-masked]>, Muhammad Habib <[email-masked]>,
"Outbound.fc" <[email-masked]>, Radwa Ali <[email-masked]>,
John Garcia <[email-masked]>, Vipin Raj <[email-masked]>,
Vipul Arora <[email-masked]>, customer care <[email-masked]>
Cc: Pinky Dechimo <[email-masked]>
Bcc:
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 09:31:41 +0400
Subject: RE: URGENT: Missing part SKU PRFT-D40BU-BK / NESPRESSO - Inissia
D40 with Aeroccino Coffee Machine- Order No. 600832385
<https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

Dear All, <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

I hope this email finds you well. <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

I am really surprised and shocked that it takes so long to resolve very
simple matter and it is affecting your image as a platform and ours as a
Brand who put customer at the centre of everything we do.
<https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

As we understood there are two customer complaint due to the same reason.
We have already confirmed that we have supplied to you the Inissia Bundle
(Inissia Coffee Machine + Aerocino) and you have delivered just Inissia. We
have even shared you the pictures in order to show the difference between
two products and its packaging. We understand that it is a simple human
error upon picking prior the delivery, but it should not take that long to
sort this issue out. Kindly prioritise solving the issue for the customers
who clearly hasn’t received his order and only one part of it. It is very
simple – check at your WH if you have Bundle box with missing piece and if
not – you can always order it separately from us.
<https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

Please do the troubleshooting at your WH in order to prevent this happening
again in the future as exactly same issue has happened few time in the
past. <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

Please let us know if there is anything we can help you with.
<https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

Thanks and best regards, <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

*Yuri Myronov | Trade Manager <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>*

*  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>*

*Perfetto Trading Company L.L.C.*  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

Emarat Atrium Bldg. - Office 207, Sheikh Zayed Road
<https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

Dubai, United Arabs Emirates, P.O. Box 282445
<https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

Tel: +971 4 3210888    Mob: +971 50 9586879
<https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

800NESPRESSO (800637773776)    www.buynespresso.com
<https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

<https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

*ü Please consider the environment before printing this email.
<https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>*

*Disclaimer: This message and any attachments transmitted with it contain
confidential information and are intended solely for the use of the
recipient and may be legally privileged information. If you are not the
named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail
or its attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you
have received this message by mistake and permanently delete it from your
system. No employee or agent is authorized to conclude any binding
agreement on behalf of Perfetto Trading Co. LLC with another party by email
without express written confirmation in hard copy. E-mail transmission
cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be
intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete. The
recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of
viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message or for any damage caused by any
virus/worms transmitted by this email. If verification is required,
please request a hard-copy version. <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>*

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

*From: Hyacinth Joyce <[email-masked]> Sent: 18 May 2020 08:58To:
Mamdouh Younes <[email-masked]>Cc: Mohit Caleb
<[email-masked]>; Mostafa Said <[email-masked]>; Syed
Yakoob <[email-masked]>; Muhammad Habib <[email-masked]>;
Outbound.fc <[email-masked]>; Radwa Ali <[email-masked]>;
John Garcia <[email-masked]>; Vipin Raj <[email-masked]>;
Vipul Arora <[email-masked]>; customer care <[email-masked]>;
Yuri Myronov <[email-masked]>Subject: Re: URGENT: Missing part
SKU PRFT-D40BU-BK / NESPRESSO - Inissia D40 with Aeroccino Coffee Machine-
Order No. 600832385 <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>*

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

Hi Mamdouh, <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

Below are the images sent by the customer.
<https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

the item inside the box. <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

the box upon delivery <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

Thank you. <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

  <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

Best Regards, <https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

*Joyce Alvarado*

Customer Care Representative

p:  +971 (0)4 4339455  │ e: [email-masked] │ w: *www.mumzworld.com
<http://www.mumzworld.com>*
a:  Office B407-408, 4th Floor, Building 4,  D3, Dubai Design District, PO
Box 500245, Dubai, UAE

On Sun, 17 May 2020 at 14:15, Mamdouh Younes <[email-masked]
<[email-masked]>*> wrote:

Hi Hyacinth

Please send a clear picture for the box and what inside the box

Thanks,

On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 2:07 PM Hyacinth Joyce <[email-masked]
<[email-masked]>*> wrote:

Hi Mamdouh,

The customer did not receive a box, she received the item as shown in the
picture below.

The customer is constantly following up and needs her item urgently. We
need to solve this asap.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

*Joyce Alvarado*

Customer Care Representative

p:  +971 (0)4 4339455  │ e: [email-masked] │ w: *www.mumzworld.com
<http://www.mumzworld.com>*
a:  Office B407-408, 4th Floor, Building 4,  D3, Dubai Design District, PO
Box 500245, Dubai, UAE

On Thu, 14 May 2020 at 08:38, Mamdouh Younes <[email-masked]
<[email-masked]>*> wrote:

Hi Hyacinth

As per our current inventory the missing piece inside the box however
please check the below picture for more details

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 6:33 PM Hyacinth Joyce <[email-masked]
<[email-masked]>*> wrote:

Hi Mamdouh,

The customer received the item as shown below.

As per logistics, the item should be as shown below since it is a bundle.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

*Joyce Alvarado*

Customer Care Representative

p:  +971 (0)4 4339455  │ e: [email-masked] │ w: *www.mumzworld.com
<http://www.mumzworld.com>*
a:  Office B407-408, 4th Floor, Building 4,  D3, Dubai Design District, PO
Box 500245, Dubai, UAE

On Wed, 13 May 2020 at 17:09, Mamdouh Younes <[email-masked]
<[email-masked]>*> wrote:

Hi radwa

Please check with the vendor because the existing stock in the warehouse.
we have inside it the aeroccino  missing piece

Thanks

On Wed, May 13, 2020, 3:03 PM Radwa Ali <[email-masked]
<[email-masked]>*> wrote:

Hi Mohit and John,

Please advise if we can arrange a swap? or will the customer receive the
Aeroccino?

*Radwa Ali*
Customer Care Representative
p:  +971 526476307│ e: [email-masked]  │ w: *www.mumzworld.com
<http://www.mumzworld.com>*
a:  Office B101, 1st Floor, Building 4B, Dubai Design District, PO Box
500245, Dubai, UAE

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 2:38 PM Mohit Caleb <[email-masked]
<[email-masked]>*> wrote:

*+Mamdouh Younes*

Kindly support in checking this

ᐧ

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 2:10 PM John Garcia <[email-masked]
<[email-masked]>*> wrote:

Dear Mohit,

Please if you can check this, it is the same issue with the other customer,
the item is in a big box since it is a bundle.

Thank you.

*John Carl Garcia*
Logistics Executive

*P* +971 4 245 1326   *E* [email-masked]
*A* B407-408, Building 4, Dubai Design District, PO Box 500245, Dubai, UAE

    [image:
twitter]

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 11:34 AM Hyacinth Joyce <[email-masked]
<[email-masked]>*> wrote:

Hi Team,

Please update, request sent 2 days ago.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

*Joyce Alvarado*

Customer Care Representative

p:  +971 (0)4 4339455  │ e: [email-masked] │ w: *<span
style="font-size:9.0pt*