Subject: RE: Order #700219710 // Incident #812321 // Sku :BGTL-MMJ2858 // Mamajoo Digital Double Breast Pump & 2xGold Bottles 150ml // Defective /Damaged
From: Umang Mehrotra <[email-masked]>
To: Jaymar Tolentino <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>, "Returns.fc" <[email-masked]>, "Andrew M. Maundu" <[email-masked]>, Denmark A <[email-masked]>, Mohamed Magdy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 16:43:45 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Hi Jaymar,

Is there any update?

Regards,

Umang Mehrotra

*From:* Denmark A [mailto:[email-masked]]
*Sent:* Sunday, June 14, 2020 1:03 PM
*To:* Jaymar Tolentino <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* customer care <[email-masked]>; Returns.fc <
[email-masked]>; Umang Mehrotra <[email-masked]>; Andrew M.
Maundu <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Re: Order #700219710 // Incident #812321 // Sku :BGTL-MMJ2858 //
Mamajoo Digital Double Breast Pump & 2xGold Bottles 150ml // Defective
/Damaged

Hi Jaymar,

Any update on this?

Regards,

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 1:17 PM Denmark A <[email-masked]> wrote:

Please update ?

Regards,

Den mark

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 12:34 PM Andrew M. Maundu <[email-masked]>
wrote:

Dear Mark,

The above mentioned item was handed over today to your inbound driver Zia

It will be handed to Jaymar.

Kindly acknowledge once received to solve this case.

*Regards,*

*Andrew  Maundu*

*Logistics and *

*Supply Chain Executive*

*BiggLoyalty General Trading LLC. *

*Sheikh Zayed Road, *

*Nassima Tower Floor 2, *

*Office Number: 204, *

*PO Box:9865 Dubai-UAE*

*Office  : +971   4 221 00 50 (UAE)*

*Mobile: +971 556286844 (UAE)*

*Web    :* *www.biggloyalty.ae <http://www.biggloyalty.ae/>*

*From:* Denmark A <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Tuesday, March 10, 2020 9:57 AM
*To:* Aneesha Kodial <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* Orders Biggloyalty <[email-masked]>; Burak Karslioglu <
[email-masked]>; customer care <[email-masked]>; Andrew
M. Maundu <[email-masked]>; Maher Khalil <[email-masked]>;
Returns.fc <[email-masked]>; Biggbrands - Biggloyalty <
[email-masked]>; Umang Mehrotra <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Re: Order #700219710 // Incident #812321 // Sku :BGTL-MMJ2858 //
Mamajoo Digital Double Breast Pump & 2xGold Bottles 150ml // Defective
/Damaged

Hi Aneesha,

Good day,

Yes they want a replacement if not repaired. In specifying what was the
issue customer's said it is defective.

Please evaluate the item and update us thank you.

Regards,

Den mark

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 9:35 AM Aneesha Kodial <[email-masked]>
wrote:

Dear Denmark,

Does the customer want a replacement? Did they specify what the issue is?

Thanks

Aneesha

*From:* Andrew M. Maundu <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Monday, March 9, 2020 11:15 AM
*To:* Maher Khalil <[email-masked]>; Aneesha Kodial <
[email-masked]>
*Cc:* Orders Biggloyalty <[email-masked]>; Burak Karslioglu <
[email-masked]>; customer care <[email-masked]>; Denmark
A <[email-masked]>; Returns.fc <[email-masked]>;
Biggbrands - Biggloyalty <[email-masked]>; Umang Mehrotra <
[email-masked]>
*Subject:* RE: Order #700219710 // Incident #812321 // Sku :BGTL-MMJ2858 //
Mamajoo Digital Double Breast Pump & 2xGold Bottles 150ml // Defective
/Damaged

Dear Maher,

This is to acknowledge receiving the below mentioned in the Warehouse.

Kindly do the needful .

*Regards,*

*Andrew  Maundu*

*Logistics and *

*Supply Chain Executive*

*BiggLoyalty General Trading LLC. *

*Sheikh Zayed Road, *

*Nassima Tower Floor 2, *

*Office Number: 204, *

*PO Box:9865 Dubai-UAE*

*Office  : +971   4 221 00 50 (UAE)*

*Mobile: +971 556286844 (UAE)*

*Web    :* *www.biggloyalty.ae* <http://www.biggloyalty.ae/>

*From:* Denmark A <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Sunday, March 8, 2020 3:47 PM
*To:* Aneesha Kodial <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* Orders Biggloyalty <[email-masked]>; Burak Karslioglu <
[email-masked]>; customer care <[email-masked]>;
Returns.fc <[email-masked]>; Biggbrands - Biggloyalty <
[email-masked]>; Umang Mehrotra <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Re: Order #700219710 // Incident #812321 // Sku :BGTL-MMJ2858 //
Mamajoo Digital Double Breast Pump & 2xGold Bottles 150ml // Defective
/Damaged

Dear Aeesha,

Find the attached sales invoice for your reference.

Regards,

Den mark

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 3:40 PM Aneesha Kodial <[email-masked]>
wrote:

Hi,

Is it a new complaint or an old one? What is the problem? Does the customer
have difficulty in operating it?

Thanks

Aneesha

*From:* Denmark A <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Sunday, March 8, 2020 3:28 PM
*To:* Aneesha Kodial <[email-masked]>; Orders Biggloyalty <
[email-masked]>; Burak Karslioglu <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* customer care <[email-masked]>; Returns.fc <
[email-masked]>; Kenneth Nwaso <[email-masked]>;
Umang Mehrotra <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Order #700219710 // Incident #812321 // Sku :BGTL-MMJ2858 //
Mamajoo Digital Double Breast Pump & 2xGold Bottles 150ml // Defective
/Damaged

Dear Vendor,

Please see the below customer complaint and allow us to send back the item
to you for your further action.

Return Reason:doesnt_work_or_defective

We appreciate your support in this matter, thank you.

Regards,

Den mark