Subject: missing items
From: Sara Abdelnabi <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>, "Outbound.fc" <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 22:01:02 +0300
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Hello team,

CST order No. 100128124 has contacted us with the following: My order #
100128124 is missing 3 items and the courier (Naqel) has confirmed that
they lost the items. please be advised that your records should indicate
that i received only 1 box and those items were not present. Therefore, I
demand a refund at the soonest as I am sick of reaching out to you and them
constantly.!!!!
The missing items are the following (Vtech Digital Baby Monitor 4.3" 582.48
SAR, Tommee Tippee Twist & Click Nappy Disposal 314.48 SAR, Little Unicorn-
Cotton Muslin Quilt 242.13 SAR). I'd appreciate it if someone contacts me
to go through the refund process.

Please assist with the issue and refund her the amount if that is possible.

Many thanks,
Sara
Mumzworld team