Subject: Ticket Assigned - Fwd: Invoice 29004603432620211102 complain
From: Home Box <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 03:35:31 +0000

Hi Rayan Suliman,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Fwd: Invoice 29004603432620211102 complain Dear,

I would like to inform you that the items for this invoice is a very bad
quality, the sofa is not good materiel. Please i request a technician team
to check and take the necessary action.
I'm really very disappointed. It's not the first item with manufacturers
issues.

Thank you
Rita

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Rita Rmeily <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021, 12:39 pm
Subject: Invoice 29004603432620211102 complain
To: Home Box <[email-masked]>

Dear sir,

I would to complain about the item received invoice mentioned above of a
damaged attached in the picture, the delivery guy deliver the item not in
presence at home and nanny didn't check the wellbeing of the item itself.

Please your action is highly appreciated

Thank you
Rita
0567718008
0582200046

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3937463