Subject: Ticket Assigned - Blacklist Aramex for all Future Shipment
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2020 14:04:58 +0000

Hi Fauzan Musalman,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Blacklist Aramex for all Future Shipment Dear Souq & Landmark Support Team,

I would request you to please blacklist Aramex for all my future shipments.
they are not providing any service and causing dealy in delivery of
consignment.

I have placed oreders mote tha a month back selected to be delivered at my
home, none of these oreders been delivered after repetritive complaints /
follow-ups.

they are just sending spam messages to come an collect from there branch.

They must understand no one want to take their service for local shipment
within the city, if customer has to take the delivery from their branch. in
such case it more effieicne for customer to take delivery direvctly from
Centrepoint brach or souq.

Trauma customer has to gone thru from shipment thru Aramex.

1. 5 Junk message for come and collect shipment from their Brnach.
despite knowing the fact customer requested for home Delivery.
2. On Complaint , they ask to contact untiver support number which never
works, always same message - all lines busy pleas call later . call ended.
9200 27447
3. Compliannt to merchant about he mess-up, reponse - escalted to Aramex HO
- No resonse / Action.
4. For Deivery at their brnach, waste one hour to reach to theri office,
pay for taxi, stay in queue at brnach, wait for additional 30 minutes if u
reach during prayer time.

Landmark Items Tracking No : 45050130403 - Pending for delivery since 16th
Nov, 45049525780 - to be delivered at home, have been froced to take
delivery from their brnach.

Souq Tracking No : 45052223591 - Pending Since 10th Oct, finally have to
collect from Aramex branch today.

*To Landmark Group : *

order No : 6451102996 - Placed on 12th Nov , to be delivered by 17th Nov 8
PM.  - till now not delivered

*more than 20 calls to customer care - more than 5 cmplaints, more than 10
hours on call, till now same response, we escalted to Aramex for urgent
delivery. *

Visited personally Aramex today - Item is in Aramex Sulay Branch, 20 Kg
consignement.

*please get some better partner for shipnmnet , Aramex is just adding delay
in shipment and has no intereset to server the customer. *

-- 

Thanks

Manoj Goel

+966508297775

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/322907