Subject: Ticket Assigned - Regarding late return
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2019 10:04:55 +0000

Hi Fauzan Musalman,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Regarding late return Hi Team,

I had ordered some items on 19th November. The order number for the same is
* 9761221052.* But for some of the items there was issue in sizes so I
opted for the return of the items on 21st November.
From that day till today I have contacted your service center at-least *7
to 8 times*.
*No response* has come from any courier guy and no sort of call in order to
take the items back. *My money is caught* in between because until and
unless the items are returned I won't be getting any refund. I have become
tired of calling so many times. After each week I call and the customer
service agents tell me that they have reminded the delivery partners but
still no response from their side. I am* exhausted* by this regular
reminding of the work that I have taken for the *last 25 days*. This was my
one of the first orders from your site and seeing this kind of *unprofessional
and lazy and casual service* that you guys are providing I doubt that I
will buy any further from this side.
I don't know any further what to do in order to get back my refund. Please
try to solve this issue of mine. I am too tired of taking time out of my
work and indulging in such petty complaint week after week.

Warm Regards,
Utkarsh Bakhshi
+971 547309858
Project Manager

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/347614