Subject: Ticket Assigned - Request to check my order return
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 11:09:22 +0000

Hi Fauzan Musalman,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Request to check my order return Hi,

I had placed an online order about a month ago for a few items thru the
center point app. I received the items and on trying out a maternity outfit
, figured that it is very big in size

I requested for a return request against the particular item for return
(the other items received were okay) . I also got an Aramex pick up option
and selected a day and time for the return . However, the  pickup never
happened. When I tried to go back to the app to retrieve the details in
order to check further, the app is constantly doesn't load and doesn't
show the options.

I have not received any email notification's of the order either hence I
have nothing to show as reference as all the details were within my login
in the app.

Can you possibly check on the same with my mobile number 0553225869.

I still have the item and the box that it was delivered (it's a very big
box due to multiple orders involved).

The app still doesn't load and hence I am seeking your help.

From,
Mridula S

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/333853