Subject: Ticket Assigned - Fwd: Return product order number 9761584079
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 04:10:33 +0000

Hi Fauzan Musalman,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Fwd: Return product order number 9761584079 To the concerned person

I have returned this product today it was picked up by Babyshop team .

Here is the return receipt picture taken from my phone  as the baby shop
team did not have any return receipt to give me.

Kindly acknowledge this  email and let me know when will I get my refund
back .

A quick response will be highly appreciated

Thanks and regards

Shabana Ismail

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Shabana Ismail <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, Nov 25, 2019, 00:59
Subject: Return product order number 9761584079
To: <[email-masked]>

To whom it may concern,

Order number: 9761584079

I had ordered a junior dafoddil travel cot which was delivered to me today.
This product is not what I expected as  I had not seen it physically in the
physical store of the babyshop as it was only available online.

I would like to return it and place a new order for some other bassinet .

If you could arrange for a pick up and refund my money asap that would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help in this matter

Shabana Ismail

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/304713