Subject: Ticket Assigned - THE ORDER HASNT REACHED YET
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2019 17:04:01 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Fauzan Musalman,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  THE ORDER HASNT REACHED YET <https://www.centrepointstores.com/kw/en/search?q=badge.title.en%3AClearance&clr=true%26utm_source%3Dhybris%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dorder_shipped_KW_en>
Your products have been shipped.
Hi Saeed Mohamad, products from order number  8361034642
<https://www.centrepointstores.com/kw/en/my-account/order/8361034642?utm_source=hybris&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=order_shipped_KW_en>
are
being sent to you in multiple shipments so you receive them faster.
The tracking number is 100040092323.

Hi,

My order hasnt reached yet. I was contacted on Thursday but i wasnt
available then and i told the delivery driver to deliver it on saturday . I
contacted the driver today but he said the courier comapny didnt give him
the items for delivery. Can you check please. Friday and saturday am at
home. Rest of the days i am at work I am available after 7PM.

Thanks!
-- 
Saeed Mohamad

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/269085