Subject: Ticket Assigned - Unsubscribe from your newsletter
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2020 04:29:28 +0000

Hi Fauzan Musalman,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Unsubscribe from your newsletter Dear Splash Fashions,

I kindly ask you to unsubscribe my email baselbmz@gmail from all your
newsletter.
I have clicked on the unsubscribe link 3 times in the last 6 months but you
keep sending me emails.

I have never used or visited your website nor have I ever subscribed with
any newsletters related to you and I don't even live in any of the
countries that you work in.

I give you until 10th of November 2020 to delete all information related to
me from your system, otherwise I'll file an official complaint in the
Police department for Digital Crime as I'm a residence of the European
Union and according to the GDPR law I have the right to ask any entity in
the world to delete my data from their system.

Having my email in your system is already a crime according to the GDPR law
so kindly ask you to cooperate with me and stop sending me any newsletter.

I kindly ask you to confirm that you have deleted all my data from your
system.

Regards,
Basel

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1618265