Subject: Ticket Assigned - Repaired Product
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2019 04:56:26 +0000

Hi Fauzan Musalman,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Repaired Product Hi Team,

The customer handed over a baby swing for repairing in January 2019 at a
Babyshop store in the Oasis Center. They customer then went out of the
country and when came back, they contacted the support team and was told
that someone will call them. It's been days but no one as contacted the
customer. Pease get in touch with the details.

Customer Details

Name: Sara 

Number: +971 50 565 9071

Email Address: [email-masked]

Regards,

Ellen Philip

Quality Control Manager 

Livechat-logo

Email: I Tel:  +1-833-247-2428

www.livechatltd.com I Skype: 

Address: Suite 306 Citygate House, Business Centre Stratford, 246-250
Romford Road, London, E7 9HZ, United Kingdom

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/201975