Subject: Ticket Assigned - Fwd: urgent: return on ORDER 9773034326
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2020 05:59:47 +0000

Hi Fauzan Musalman,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Fwd: urgent: return on ORDER 9773034326 ---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Sonam Arora <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 at 14:45
Subject: urgent: return on ORDER 9773034326
To: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>

Hi Splash

I am following up on returns made on this order, which I had placed more
than 2 weeks ago.

I have not received any response from your team or Aramex to collect the
items.  Despite that, I have called and raised a request also on Thursday
and there was no action taken.

The service is very unprofessional and to be honest, annoying. As a
customer, I had to call a bunch of times to remind (and wait on call >20
minutes to get this processed).

Can someone start to work on this today?
*Thanks *
*Sonam (0504896733)*

-- 

*Sonam*

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/590279