Subject: Ticket Assigned - I WILL COMPLAIN TO DED!!!
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2020 05:56:44 +0000

Hi Fauzan Musalman,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  I WILL COMPLAIN TO DED!!! Dear Centerpoint,
I will raise complaint to DED if you will not IMMEDIATELY refund me for my
returns made more than 1 month ago:

Order #9797225843:

Items returned:
Embroidered Shirt with Long Sleeves and Tie Neck
Sustainable Embellished Sweatshirt with Round Neck and Long Sleeves

and

Order #9797225509
Items returned:

Iconic Plain Top with Mandarin Collar and 3/4 Sleeves
Plain Shirt with Spread Collar and 3/4 Sleeves

It was glitch in your online system that did not allow me to only select
these items, so I had to select all. Now I called more than 5 times and no
solution. Horrible customer service experience, no solution given!
If I don't receive refund within next 48 hours I will file complaint with
DED.

Thanks.
Olga Stadnik

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1498951