Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order #9604567223 - Shipment Delay
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 06:23:05 +0000

Hi Fauzan Musalman,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order #9604567223 - Shipment Delay Hello,
This is related to my Order -
Order #9604567223.
The shipment is currently under Transit with Aramex.I have previously also
requested about not sending the shipments through Aramex as there is always
a delay from Aramex and their customer service is hopeless.From teh Aramex
Website - I can see that the shipment was picked up on the 25th and is
still in transit.Iam not sure when I can get it as the Aramex Bot through
website says that my shipment has moved to a new tracking number.The prompt
shipment dispatch from Centerpoint Stores is of no good if the courier
delivery partner takes ages to deliver and just destroys the online
shopping experience.
Request you to please take this up with Aramex and let me know as to when
my shipment will be delivered.

Thank you ,

Satish

-- 
*Thanks and Regards,*

*S A T I S H*
*D A M O D A R A N *

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1527663