Subject: Refund approval.
From: Mohammad Shafeeque <[email-masked]>
To: Seeta Seeta <[email-masked]>, Apoorv Joshi <[email-masked]>, Shakeeb Arsalan <[email-masked]>, "Fauzan Ahmad, Musalman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2020 05:29:48 -0700 (MST)

Hi Team 

Problem Statement : Missing items / Refund approval. 

Ticket id :1197003 

Order Date :10/06/2020 

Order ID: 8387077734 

Tracking ID : 202006111630487 

Total Price : 55.65 KWD 

Store Code: Babyshop21119 

Issue Description : The Customer placed the order on 10th of June , and it is pending since then, as per customer he received only 1 item while as per hybris all item have been picked up from store , 
We escalated to the WH. on 14/06/2020 and they replied " Please be inform below order number we made multi container & sent to the store . Please check again the order number one more carton available or not at the store . please revert back to us ." 
while as per store " We have checked physically there is no other container pending at store for the below order ". 

Case history : The customer reached out to us on 11th of June and since then the issue we follow the case but no action has been taken. 

Customer's history : the customer is with us since 10th of June and this is his second order with us. 

Assistance required : We request you to provide refund approval in order to have the customer refunded manually and close the issue. 

Best Regards 
Shafeeque