Subject: Ticket Assigned - COMPLAINT: unable to return my product.. Order #9797814975
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 08:00:45 +0000

Hi Fauzan Musalman,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  COMPLAINT: unable to return my product.. Order #9797814975 Dear sir/mam

I want to raise a complaint regarding my order number: 9797814975.(Ribbed v
neck jumpsuit with short sleeves).  I received the delivery on 17/08/2020.
One of the products  in my order did not fit me properly so I looked at the
return or exchange options and there were none.  When I called your
customer care they informed me that there is no return option for the
particular product which is very unfair becoz there is *NO MENTION OF NON
RETURNABLE* anywhere in your webpage.
When u sell a product which is not eligible for return *u should clearly
mention in your webpage that the product is not eligible for return*
becoz the customer who buys it clearly needs to know it.
I would like to place a complaint in this regard since I am *extremely
unhappy *with your service since there were no clear details of the
product. I am a regular online customer of various websites and this is the
first time I am facing such a problem.  Do look into the problem and do the
needful.

Warm regards,
Seshin Karthiga

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1401694