Subject: Refund Approval - Ticket ID 1174068
From: Nikhil Bishnoi <[email-masked]>
To: Seeta Seeta <[email-masked]>, Shakeeb Arsalan <[email-masked]>, "Fauzan Ahmad . Musalman" <[email-masked]>, Apoorv Joshi <[email-masked]>
Cc: Nikhil Bishnoi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 22:32:43 +0530

Dear Team,

Problem Statement : Refund Not Processed
Order Date : May 21, 2020
Order ID: 6493256738
Return Tracking ID: FP05280001113 (NDR)
RMA : 33905275
Total Price : SAR 214.00.00

Issue Description : The items were not delivered to the customer and the
refund is not processed yet.

Case History :The customer reached out to us on June 08 asking us to
correct his mobile number for the order. Many escalations have been sent to
Conloc team but they have not reverted back and Manual Refund Sheet has
been updated as well.

Customer's History : This was customer's 3rd order with us since April 2020.

Assistance Required: We request you to provide us refund approval in order
to refund the customer manually and close the issue the soonest.

Regards,
Nikhil.