Subject: Refund Approval - 1060974
From: Nikhil Bishnoi <[email-masked]>
To: Seeta Seeta <[email-masked]>, Shakeeb Arsalan <[email-masked]>, "Fauzan Ahmad . Musalman" <[email-masked]>, Apoorv Joshi <[email-masked]>
Cc: Nikhil Bishnoi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 21:10:59 +0530

Dear Team,

Problem Statement : Refund Not Processed
Order Date : Mar 27, 2020
Order ID: 6473631193
Return Tracking ID: S000733662469 (NDR)
RMA : 23948354
Total Price : SAR 206.00.00

Issue Description : The items were not delivered to the customer and 2 RMA
are generated. One was processed and the 2nd one is pending.

Case History :The customer reached out to us on May 18 regarding the
refund. Many escalations have been sent to Conloc team but they have not
reverted back and Manual Refund Sheet has been updated as well.

Customer's History : This was customer's 2nd order with us since March 2020.

Assistance Required: We request you to provide us refund approval in order
to refund the customer manually and close the issue the soonest.

Regards,
Nikhil.