Subject: Refund Approval - 1051382
From: Nikhil Bishnoi <[email-masked]>
To: Seeta Seeta <[email-masked]>, Shakeeb Arsalan <[email-masked]>, "Fauzan Ahmad . Musalman" <[email-masked]>, Apoorv Joshi <[email-masked]>
Cc: Nikhil Bishnoi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 21:03:06 +0530

Dear Team,

Problem Statement : Refund Not Processed
Order Date : May 12, 2020
Order ID: 9782341279
Return Tracking ID: 1000006674937 (NDR)
RMA : 53239330
Total Price : AED 263.00.00

Issue Description : The items were not delivered to the customer and NDR is
also marked in the system. The system generated above mentioned RMA on July
17.

Case History :The customer reached out to us on May 17 regarding the
delivery. Many escalations have been sent to Conloc team but they have not
reverted back and Manual Refund Sheet has been updated as well.

Customer's History : The customer has placed 8 orders with us and the
customer is with us since June 2017.

Assistance Required: We request you to provide us refund approval in order
to refund the customer manually and close the issue the soonest.

Regards,
Nikhil.