Subject: Approval required for Refund - Ticket ID 597439
From: Nikhil Bishnoi <[email-masked]>
To: Seeta Seeta <[email-masked]>, Shakeeb Arsalan <[email-masked]>, "Fauzan Ahmad . Musalman" <[email-masked]>, Apoorv Joshi <[email-masked]>
Cc: Nikhil Bishnoi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 19:20:15 +0530

Dear Team,

*Problem Statement* : Refund Not Processed
*Order Date* : Mar 12, 2020
*Order ID*: 6469596043
*Return Tracking ID*: 45916413362
*RMA :* 23786295
*Concept*: BABYSHOP
*Total Price* : AED 116.00

*Issue Description* : The items were collected and returned back to WH on
Apr 22, 2020 (PFA) and the refund is pending since then.

*Case History* :The customer reached out to us on March 30 regarding the
wrong item delivered (PFA). The customer has ordered 01 perfund but
received clothes. Many escalations have been sent to Conloc team but they
have not reverted back.

*Customer's History : *The customer has placed his 1st order with us.

*Assistance Required*: We request you to provide us refund approval in
order to refund the customer manually and close the issue the soonest.

Regards,
Nikhil.