Subject: Approval required to process refund - Ticket ID 1279358
From: Nikhil Bishnoi <[email-masked]>
To: Seeta Seeta <[email-masked]>, Shakeeb Arsalan <[email-masked]>, "Fauzan Ahmad . Musalman" <[email-masked]>, Apoorv Joshi <[email-masked]>
Cc: Nikhil Bishnoi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 15:20:33 +0530

Dear Team,

*Problem Statement* : Refund Not Processed
*Order Date* : June 01, 2020
*Order ID*: 6496086859
*Return Tracking ID*: CRDSAL0026185220
*RMA :* 23968234
*Concept*: MAX
*Total Price* : AED 379.12

*Issue Description* : The order is NDR (PFA), However the refund has not
been initiated yet.

*Case History* :The customer reached out to us on 02nd of July to check for
the refund and since then we have been contacting the Conloc team to do the
needful. Many escalations have been sent to them but they have not reverted
back.

*Customer's History : *The customer has been with us since 26th of
May, 2019 and has completed 13 orders with us.

*Assistance Required*: We request you to provide us refund approval in
order to refund the customer manually and close the issue the soonest.

Regards,
Nikhil.