Subject: Approval required to process the refund - Ticket ID 1115617
From: Nikhil Bishnoi <[email-masked]>
To: Seeta Seeta <[email-masked]>, Shakeeb Arsalan <[email-masked]>, "Fauzan Ahmad . Musalman" <[email-masked]>, Apoorv Joshi <[email-masked]>
Cc: Nikhil Bishnoi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 21:28:52 +0530

Dear Team,

*Problem Statement* : Refund Not Processed
*Order Date* : May 09, 2020
*Order ID*: 9781903229
*Return Tracking ID*: S001228312640
*RMA :* 53157370
*Concept*: SPLASH
*Total Price* : AED 227.20

*Issue Description* : The order is NDR, However the refund has not been
initiated yet.

*Case History* :The customer reached out to us on 30th of May to check for
her shipment and since then we have been contacting the Conloc team to do
the needful and also updated the Manual Refund Sheet., Many escalations
have been sent to them but they have not reverted back.

*Customer's History : *The customer has placed her 1st order with us.

*Assistance Required*: We request you to provide us refund approval in
order to refund the customer manually and close the issue the soonest.

Regards,
Nikhil.