Subject: Approval required for the refund - Ticket ID 1070117
From: Nikhil Bishnoi <[email-masked]>
To: Seeta Seeta <[email-masked]>, Shakeeb Arsalan <[email-masked]>, "Fauzan Ahmad . Musalman" <[email-masked]>, Apoorv Joshi <[email-masked]>
Cc: Nikhil Bishnoi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 21:17:54 +0530

Dear Team,

*Problem Statement* : Refund Not Processed
*Order Date* : Apr 17, 2020
*Order ID*: 9778426469
*Return Tracking ID*: S000955674852
*RMA :* 43180415
*Concept*: MAX
*Total Price* : AED 206.00

*Issue Description* : The courier team cancelled the pick up on 29th of
June (PFA), However the refund has not been initiated yet.

*Case History* :The customer reached out to us on 20th of May to arrange
the collection for the shipment and since then we have been contacting the
Conloc team to do the needful and also updated the Manual Refund Sheet.,
Many escalations have been sent to them but they have not reverted back.

*Customer's History : *The customer has been with us since 08th of Dec 2018
and has 2 orders with AED 5,190.00 with us.

*Assistance Required*: We request you to provide us refund approval in
order to refund the customer manually and close the issue the soonest.

Regards,
Nikhil.