Subject: Approval required for the refund - Ticket ID 982483
From: Nikhil Bishnoi <[email-masked]>
To: Seeta Seeta <[email-masked]>, Shakeeb Arsalan <[email-masked]>, "Fauzan Ahmad . Musalman" <[email-masked]>, Apoorv Joshi <[email-masked]>
Cc: Nikhil Bishnoi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 20:07:37 +0530

Dear Team,

Problem Statement : Refund Not Processed
Order Date : Apr 22, 2020
Order ID: 6485205210
Return Tracking ID: 45943713900
RMA : 23930095
Total Price : SAR 134.10

Issue Description : The courier team returned the item to the Conloc on
12th of May (PFA), However the refund has not been initiated yet. We have
updated the same in Manual Refund Sheet and escalated to conloc as well.

Case History :The customer reached out to us on 10th of May to investigate
regarding the delivery of part of his shipment,  and on June 23 we got the
confirmation form the Aramex that the shipment was returned under the AWB
44944496660.

Customer's History : The customer is with us since 31st of Dec 2017  and
having completed orders for more than SAR 10,000.00

Assistance Required: We request you to provide us refund approval in order
to refund the customer manually and close the issue the soonest.

Regards,
Nikhil.