Subject: Approval required for the refund for missing item - Ticket ID 1158798
From: Nikhil Bishnoi <[email-masked]>
To: Seeta Seeta <[email-masked]>, Shakeeb Arsalan <[email-masked]>, "Fauzan Ahmad . Musalman" <[email-masked]>, Apoorv Joshi <[email-masked]>
Cc: Nikhil Bishnoi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 18:50:19 +0530

Dear Team,

I have escalated the issue to Sachin twice, but no response. Kindly
escalate.

Problem Statement: Missing items
Order Date: 02/05/2020
Order ID: 9780715862
Tracking ID: S001134354256
Assistance Required: Need missing item

Issue Description: Customer placed order for 11 items but as per the
customer he/she has only received 10 items, Under the consignment details
we can see that all 14 items has been Delivered from our side. As per the
customer, the delivery guy said that the 2nd package is not with him and i
will be delivered later.

Customer history: 1 ITEMS OUT OF 11 IS MISSING, CUSTOMER WANTS THE SAME
ASAP.

The customer has been with us since Dec'2019 and have placed 4 orders worth
AED 6,663.00. The customer has reported the issue for the 1st time as per
the history.

The missing item is 162589989 - little tikes - Little Tikes Fun Zone Drop
Zone the cost of the item is AED: 699.00.

Kindly approve for the refund.

Regards,
Nikhil