Subject: New Reply Received - Re: We’ve received your online return request.--- No Action Done to Collect the requested Items to be returned
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2020 13:36:09 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Apoorv Joshi,  The customer has responded to the ticket.  Re: We’ve received your online return request.--- No Action Done to Collect the requested Items to be returned  Ticket comment <div>Dear Splash Support Team,</div>
    <div>Kindly be informed that Today one of Aramex Team has called for
      returning 2 orders "i think for it might be for Max orders",</div>
    <div>However i have given the gentleman all the pending return orders
      with me and i have return on the plastic bag for each item the
      order number,</div>
    <div>His Name Mr. Omar Hayat<br>
    </div>
    <div>Mobile :- 050 163 4380</div>
    <div>Vehicle Nr : O 59545 Dubai<br>
    </div>
    <div><font color="#ff0000">9763664491 - This has been collected
        successfully. Kindly confirm how many items did you return in
        this order.</font></div>
    <div>Not yet collected and i have given the items  today to Mr. Omar<br>
    </div>
    <div><img src="https://attachment.freshdesk.com/inline/attachment?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJpZCI6MjA0MzEwMjYxMDkyMSwiZG9tYWluIjoibGFuZG1hcmtncm91cHNlcnZpY2UuZnJlc2hkZXNrLmNvbSIsImFjY291bnRfaWQiOjExMjUxNTZ9.U9YPxzNwGU6fB_ijQ9fMURDpS_tufCQnjc2P-ooCr5A" alt=""></div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix"></div>
<div class="freshdesk_quote"><blockquote class="freshdesk_quote">
<div>On 4/11/2020 12:44 PM, Splash wrote:<br>
    
    </div>
<blockquote>
      
      <div style="font-family:-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Segoe
        UI, Roboto, Helvetica Neue, Arial, sans-serif; font-size:14px">
        <div style="font-family:-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Segoe
          UI, Roboto, Helvetica Neue, Arial, sans-serif; font-size:14px">
          <div dir="ltr">
            <div dir="ltr">Hi Nader,</div>
            <div>
<br>
            </div>
            <div dir="ltr">Thank you for reaching out to us and giving
              us the opportunity to serve you.</div>
            <div dir="ltr">
<br>
            </div>
            <div dir="ltr">We sincerely apologize for the delay in
              collection of your return requests, however as we can
              check, please find below the findings for every order
              number that you mentioned:</div>
            <div dir="ltr">
<br>
            </div>
            <div dir="ltr">1. 9774462731 - Return request created on
              March 31, 2020, collection may take up to 5-7 business
              days due to current conditions. As per the tracking though
              it appears that courier has tried contacting you on April
              7, 2020 however, the phone was switched off. The contact
              number that has been provided is: +971555363138. You can
              check the tracking here: <a href="https://www.aramex.com/sa/en/track/shipment-details?q=c2hpcG1lbnRJZD02ODk3OTMzNzkmcHJvZHVjdEdyb3VwPURPTSY%3d-0Nsb7ncRDcE%3d" rel="noreferrer">https://www.aramex.com/sa/en/track/shipment-details?q=c2hpcG1lbnRJZD02ODk3OTMzNzkmcHJvZHVjdEdyb3VwPURPTSY%3d-0Nsb7ncRDcE%3d</a>
            </div>
            <div dir="ltr">​<br>
            </div>
            <div dir="ltr">2. 9774400949 - Return request created on
              April 01, 2020, collection may take up to 5-7 business
              days due to current conditions. As per the tracking they
              have tried arranging a collection on April 2, 2020 but
              without success. The contact number that has been provided
              is: +971555363138. You can check the tracking here: <a href="https://www.aramex.com/sa/en/track/shipment-details?q=c2hpcG1lbnRJZD02OTAwMzgxODAmcHJvZHVjdEdyb3VwPURPTSY%3d-dcwel7rsLL8%3d" rel="noreferrer">https://www.aramex.com/sa/en/track/shipment-details?q=c2hpcG1lbnRJZD02OTAwMzgxODAmcHJvZHVjdEdyb3VwPURPTSY%3d-dcwel7rsLL8%3d</a>
            </div>
            <div dir="ltr">​<br>
            </div>
            <div dir="ltr">3. 9769452135 - Return request created on Feb
              24, 2020. As per the tracking they have tried arranging a
              collection with you on 4 occasions but without success.
              The contact number that has been provided is:
              +971557980087.</div>
            <div dir="ltr">​<br>
            </div>
            <div dir="ltr">4. 9767732096 - Return request created on Jan
              30, 2020. As per the tracking they have tried arranging a
              collection with you on 3 occasions but without success.
              The contact number that has been provided is:
              +971555579855.</div>
            <div dir="ltr">​<br>
            </div>
            <div dir="ltr">5. 9763664491 - This has been collected
              successfully. Kindly confirm how many items did you return
              in this order.</div>
            <div dir="ltr">
<br>
            </div>
            <div dir="ltr">Please share your correct contact number and
              the full address. We will arrange a collection for the
              same on priority for you.</div>
            <div dir="ltr">
<br>
            </div>
            <div dir="ltr">Thank you for your help! We are looking
              forward to hear from you soon!</div>
            <div dir="ltr">
<br>
            </div>
            <div dir="ltr">Your Friends,</div>
            <div dir="ltr">The Support Team</div>
          </div>
        </div>
        
      </div>
    </blockquote>
  </blockquote></div>  https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/655984