Subject: Re: Drop Payment
From: Manish Kumar <[email-masked]>
To: Akshay Berry <[email-masked]>
Cc: escalations dxbteam <[email-masked]>, Punit Darji <[email-masked]>, "Sonal Gyanchandani (TCS)" <[email-masked]>, "Priyanka Gadiya (TCS)" <[email-masked]>, Apoorv Joshi <[email-masked]>, Nikhil Bishnoi <[email-masked]>, Vivek Kumar Gupta <[email-masked]>, "Mohammed Abdullah, Bahashwan" <[email-masked]>, Sabir Sutharya <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 03:58:43 -0700 (MST)

Hi Akshay, 

The customer has not any sucessful order on Hybris for this amount hence kindly advise if both deduction has been refunded or one is still pending to be refunded. 

Thank you for your help. 

Regards, 
Manish 

From: "Sabir Sutharya" <[email-masked]> 
To: "Akshay Berry" <[email-masked]>, "Manish Kumar" <[email-masked]>, "escalations dxbteam" <[email-masked]>, "Punit Darji" <[email-masked]>, "Sonal Gyanchandani (TCS)" <[email-masked]>, "Priyanka Gadiya (TCS)" <[email-masked]> 
Cc: "Apoorv Joshi" <[email-masked]>, "Nikhil Bishnoi" <[email-masked]>, "Vivek Kumar Gupta" <[email-masked]>, "Mohammed Abdullah, Bahashwan" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2022 6:25:58 PM 
Subject: RE: Drop Payment 

Dear Akshay, 

Bank charged twice and later one got refunded to customer on 26 th Mar. 

	

Bank Date 	

MIDs 	

POS ID 	

Batch No 	

Seq No 	

Date 	

Time 	

Type 	

card no 	

Auth Code 	

Card Type 	

Currency 	

Amount 

16-Mar-22 	

8111130 	

MASS2I20 	

9999 	

4729 	

315 	

2220 	

PRCH 	

521600******4874 	

614746 	

MASTER PR 	

AED 	

153 

18-Mar-22 	

8111130 	

MASS2I20 	

9999 	

2885 	

315 	

2220 	

PRCH 	

521600******4874 	

614746 	

MASTER PR 	

AED 	

153 

26-Mar-22 	

8111130 	

MASS2I20 	

9999 	

6016 	

324 	

2237 	

RFND 	

521600******4874 	

614746 	

MASTER PR 	

AED 	

-153 

Regards, 

Sabir Sutharya 

Shared Service – C2C 

Landmark Group, 

Landmark Tower, Dubai Marina 
Dubai, United Arab Emirates. 
[ tel:+971 | Tel: +971 ] 4 517 3445 

From: Akshay Berry <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2022 4:27 PM 
To: Manish Kumar <[email-masked]>; Escalations Dxbteam <[email-masked]>; Punit Darji <[email-masked]>; Sonal Gyanchandani (TCS) <[email-masked]>; Sabir Sutharya <[email-masked]>; Priyanka Gadiya (TCS) <[email-masked]> 
Cc: Apoorv Joshi <[email-masked]>; Nikhil Bishnoi <[email-masked]>; Vivek Kumar Gupta <[email-masked]>; Mohammed Abdullah, Bahashwan <[email-masked]> 
Subject: RE: Drop Payment 

Looping [ mailto:[email-masked] | 
@Punit Darji ] [ mailto:[email-masked] | 
@Sonal Gyanchandani (TCS) ] [ mailto:[email-masked] | 
@Sabir Sutharya ] [ mailto:[email-masked] | 
@Priyanka Gadiya (TCS) ] , 

Assist to check the complaint from customer for double deduction. 

Regards, 

Akshay Berry 

Vendor Support & Escalations Specialist 

T: +971 4 5172125 

Landmark Group HQ, Marina, Dubai, UAE 

From: Manish Kumar < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2022 3:58 PM 
To: Escalations Dxbteam < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Cc: Apoorv Joshi < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] >; Nikhil Bishnoi < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] >; Mohammed Abdullah, Bahashwan < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Subject: Re: Drop Payment 

External email sender, please take precaution. 

Hi Team, 

Kindly assist on the below double deduction. 

Thank you for your help. 

Regards, 

Manish 

From: "Mohammed Abdullah, Bahashwan" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
To: "Apoorv Joshi" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] >, "Nikhil Bishnoi" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] >, "Manish Kumar" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2022 3:47:40 PM 
Subject: Drop Payment 

Hi Team. 

Problem Statement: Double deduction 

Order of deduction : Mar 15, 2022 

Order ID: 9561371346 

Amount : AED 153.00 

Issue Description: Customer complaining us that his amount got deducted twice for the above order number for your reference find the attached details below an kindly check and assist with the same so that we can inform the customer and resolve the case. 

Regards, 

Bahashwan. 

This e-mail message (which includes attachment/s thereto, if any, and the information therein), is legally privileged, proprietary, strictly confidential and exempt from disclosure, which is not waived or lost by mis-transmission or error. If you are not the original intended recipient of this message, it may be unlawful and illegal for you to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, disclose or otherwise use this message, or take any action in reliance on it, and the same is prohibited and forbidden. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by return reply and delete the message from your system without printing or making a copy. Neither the sender nor we are liable for any loss or damage as a result of this message, or for any delay, interception, corruption, virus, error, omission, improper or incomplete transmission thereof. www.landmarkgroup.com