Subject: damaged item
From: "Suzana Hasan. Ali Al Qafeai" <[email-masked]>
To: Seeta Seeta <[email-masked]>
Cc: Apoorv Joshi <[email-masked]>, Shakeeb Arsalan <[email-masked]>, "Fauzan Ahmad, Musalman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 06:40:04 -0700 (MST)

Hi Team, 

Ticket number:1583927 

Problem Statement: Damaged item delivered 

Order Date : Oct 9, 2020 

Delivery Date: 10/12/20 

Order ID: 6231571783 

Assistance Required: Need replacement 

Issue Description: Customer placed an order for the item Juniors Cape Printed Baby Bouncer with Toy Bar on Oct 9, 2020 which was delivered on Oct 12,2020 and now customer reported that he received the used or damaged item in his purchase and he also shared the image of the item as well. 
Assistance Required: Need replacement 

The name of the item is:156361277 - - Juniors Cape Printed Baby Bouncer with Toy Bar and cost of the item is SAR149.00 
so kindly check and advice what can we do in this case. 

We have already escalated this case to concern team but did not get any response so far. 

Thank you for your help! 

Regards, 
Suzana